Board OKs new member, housing rates

The cost of housing will be going up for students living on campus. Patrick J. O’Connor, the student affairs committee chairman, announced a motion to increase housing rates by 4.75 percent for the 2008-2009 school

The cost of housing will be going up for students living on campus.

Patrick J. O’Connor, the student affairs committee chairman, announced a motion to increase housing rates by 4.75 percent for the 2008-2009 school year.

The motion was unanimously approved by the Board of Trustees and will increase costs from $133 to $224 per semester, depending on the residence hall.

Also at the March 11 meeting, Lon R. Greenberg became the newest member of the Board of Trustees. Greenberg was elected to serve a five-year term.

Greenberg currently serves as chief executive officer of UGI Corporation, which is based in Valley Forge, and has held the position since 1995. He has also been the chairman of its board of directors since 1996.

UGI is a distributor and marketer of energy products and services, including propane, natural gas, electricity and other heating and cooling services.

Greenberg received his bachelor’s degree in economics from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania and attended law school at Villanova University, where he graduated with honors. Greenberg also completed Harvard University’s Advanced Management Program in its business school.

In his civic activities, Greenberg served as a cabinet member of the United Way of Southeastern Pennsylvania in 2006 as campaign chair, and raised more than $396,000 in fundraising that year.

He is currently the chairman of the Pennsylvania Business Roundtable and serves on the board of the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce.
Greenberg could not be reached for comment on his new position.

Chairman Daniel H Polett announced a program that will authorize officers to borrow up to $30 million on terms the officers believe are best for the university. This authority will cover a period from April 1 through June 30.

Brad Larrison can be reached at brad.larrison@temple.edu.