Boo to the business world

Wouldn’t you know it, the first time this semester there’s enough room in my section for me to drop a BTTBW, there ain’t shit going on. Any worthwhile concerts this week have been given a

Wouldn’t you know it, the first time this semester there’s enough room in my section for me to drop a BTTBW, there ain’t shit going on. Any worthwhile concerts this week have been given a shot already or are sold out, the Olympics are still pre-empting plenty of television, and Movie Monday at the Troc is showing freakin’ Shallow Hal.

So what’s one to do for entertainment?

Simple: online timesuckers. I’ve wasted countless hours at the Temple News office (thanks to our supa-fast Internet connection) on these babies, and now seems as good a time as any to pass on my addictions to the rest of y’all.

Article 19, found at www.article19.com/shockwave, has provided the net community with a barrage of Shockwave-based games, puzzles and animations for four years now, ranging from the ever-popular yaTetris, to Jazz Man (my personal favorite) a beatnik update on Pac Man where the main character chases around musical notes (Structure! The enemy of the true jazz musician!) to the sound of groovin’ beats and mellow licks.

Quizzes are fun. Log on to www.liint.org/chlorine/strokes/ to discover which member of The Strokes you are, and check the online UK zine Sweet Cherrie to see which rock diva you were in a past life at https://sweetcherrie.com/main/divas/quiz.html. I am apparently Strokes singer Julian Casablancas, and was Adalita Srsen of Magic Dirt in a past life. Dammit, I was hoping for Nico!

Then there are the obvious picks that you can never get sick of: rate people’s looks and destroy their egos at www.hotornot.com, and get frustrated with the silly monkeys and their dollar bills at the Tree Loot game found at https://www.treeloot.com/play/moneytree.html.

Then there is www.pimpwar.com, which newspaper ethical standards prevent me from discussing any further in print. But if you’ve got a sick mind and are ready to get sucked into a twisted web of interactive fun, check it out. Opinion Editor Jeremy Smith got me hooked.

So stay in and have some fun online this weekend; you can get fresh air on Monday.