Boo to the business world

I’m stuck in a lovely post-spring-break rut. You know, the kind where you just got back from a relaxing week all to yourself, haven’t finished any of the work that you were supposed to, and

I’m stuck in a lovely post-spring-break rut. You know, the kind where you just got back from a relaxing week all to yourself, haven’t finished any of the work that you were supposed to, and realize there are still two more months of school left. Joy.

I went to Cleveland for spring break. My friend M.J. and I have been talking about road tripping to the Rock ‘N’ Roll Hall Of Fame for years now, and we finally did it. While out there, we also managed to see Cracker (more on them next week) and check out the opening night of the Cleveland International Film Festival: a premiere of Lifetime Guarantee: Phranc’s Adventures In Plastic.

In case you weren’t aware (don’t worry, I wasn’t either), Phranc is a self-described “all-American Jewish lesbian folksinger” who enjoyed a healthy musical career in both a punk band and as a solo performer.

However, with a partner and adopted daughter, she wanted a job that wouldn’t keep her away from home for so long. So she became a Tupperware lady, and quite a successful one at that. Director Lisa Udelson presents all facets of this offbeat but charming tale in Lifetime Guarantee, showing the opposition Phranc faces in the Tupper-world because of her lifestyle, as well as painting a wonderful picture of an overtly sanguine woman who truly believes in what she peddles. When it makes its way to Philly, be sure to check it out … but don’t bring cash, or you’ll be tempted to buy Tupperware afterwards.

Shows to be sure and check out this week:

Girls Against Boys (3/22, First Unitarian Church, 7 p.m.) — Last time these techno-punks came through town, they damn near broke the stage at the Khyber. Now that they’ve finally got a new album, You Can’t Fight What You Can’t See, due out in May on Jade Tree Records, they’re bound to be even more excited.

Eels (3/25, TLA, 8 p.m.) — Eels frontman E might be sporting the lumberjack look these days, but at least he rocks. No longer sedated as he was on Beautiful Freak, nor depressed as he was on Electro-Shock Blues, the band’s latest offering, Souljacker, is crunchy, quirky, fervent rock ‘n’ roll.

Last but not least, I’d like to bid a fond farewell to the teenage years of two of my grounds crew buddies, Lindsay and Bryan. Happy birthday both of ya … you guys rock!

John Vettese can be reached at jvettbe@temple.edu