Boo to the business world

Wow. It’s been a long time since we’ve talked, and it will probably be a long time till we talk again; BTTBW won’t air again until Dec. 6, so this week’s installment will throw a

Wow. It’s been a long time since we’ve talked, and it will probably be a long time till we talk again; BTTBW won’t air again until Dec. 6, so this week’s installment will throw a ton of info at you, once over lightly.

First off, let’s have a look at the concert front; this Saturday (Nov. 17), Cake will be at the Electric Factory. You gotta love ’em, if not for John McCrea’s deadpan vocals and humorous-yet-poignant lyrics, then for the fact that they’ve gotten as far as they have without a helluva lot of help from MTV or the radio. Think about it, aside from “The Distance,” they haven’t really had any certifiable hits … and yet they’re playing a 3000-capacity venue! Rawk. Best place to get your ass kicked after Thanksgiving: also the Electric Factory, for the Bouncing Souls / Flogging Molly show (Nov. 23).

Guess it’s the season of enigmatic radio festivals. Firstly, Y100’s lineup of sucky McPunk (Sum 41, Lit, Blink 182) for this year’s FEASTival is capped off with … Bush? (Dec. 12, The F.U. Center). Then alterna-rockers Lifehouse are somehow on the bill with rising R&B star Alycia Keys and DJ-pop pretty boy Craig David at the Q102 Jingle Ball Jam (Dec. 14, F.U.C.). And backtracking a bit, Pierre Robert’s 20th Anniversary with WMMR party at the Spectrum (Nov. 21) boasts a set by Philly’s own Hooters. Like, what the hell have they done since 1986?

The much-anticipated Harry Potter And The Sorcerer’s Stone is out this Friday, sure to dazzle young children and old acidheads alike. On a somewhat related note, The Princess Bride, one of the best flicks to come out of the ’80s, will be showing at the Troc’s Movie Monday on Nov. 19.

Who all is watching the TV show “24?” If you’re not, you should. We’re only two episodes into it, hence its only 2 a.m. in the real-time storyboard … there’s still time to catch up! Seriously, it’s a very original idea and a damn creative show … besides, you just can’t go wrong with Keifer Sutherland. And — hurray!! — “The Simpsons” aired its official season premier this past Sunday. Be sure to tune in to Fox 29 every Sunday at 8 p.m. for the greatest television show known to man, bar none.

So that should keep y’all busy for the next few weeks. Everybody be sure to pick up the next edition of The Temple News on Nov. 29 … it’s the local music issue, chock full of info on who’s who in all aspects of the Philly scene. At least among those who cared enough to send us their CDs. Grrr.