Break rejuvenates Dickson’s players

After a three-week hiatus, the Owls are set to begin play this afternoon against Delaware State at Temple’s Ambler Sports Complex. The Owls (4-6) initiated the 2008 season at the Arizona State University Tournament where

After a three-week hiatus, the Owls are set to begin play this afternoon against Delaware State at Temple’s Ambler Sports Complex.

The Owls (4-6) initiated the 2008 season at the Arizona State University Tournament where they knocked off No. 25 Oregon State, 4-2. A week later they played No. 3 Texas A&M twice, losing both, 7-0 and 6-0, respectively.

Despite these losses, the team said they still feel like they have gained something from these games.

“Even if we lose, we still win because of the confidence we gain,” coach Casey Dickson said. “Going from playing some of the best teams in the nation to smaller, lesser-known schools, we know we can go into the game and win.”

Last month, the team started the season with an 11-0 loss to California. The next day they upset No. 25 Oregon State.

From there the Owls traveled to Texas for the Texas A&M Tournament. They started off strong with a win over North Texas, 4-3. The Owls suffered two losses to No. 3 Texas A&M. The Owls split a doubleheader with Sam Houston State, winning the first, 5-4 and losing the second, 5-0.

It has been nearly a month since the team last played. The Owls have had two weeks of practice. Last week, the team was able to enjoy Temple’s week-long spring break.

“We gave them spring break off so they can do what normal college students do during their break,” Dickson said.

“Having the break off is very unusual for softball teams, as many have games or are required to have practice.”

“The girls loved the idea of having off, but since this is a very odd thing for our sport we will see if it pays off when we play on Tuesday,” Dickson said.

Dickson said she wished more people supported the softball team at their home games.

“It would be great if students could make it out to the games at Ambler. The weekend games we cook hot dogs and have drinks for the fans that come out,” Dickson said.

With a tough schedule at the beginning of the season, the Owls have been able to test their abilities against some of the nation’s best.

The Owls will begin Atlantic Ten Conference play in early April.

Bryan Zebleckes can be reached at bzebleckes@temple.edu