BRINGING MUSIC ALIVE AT EDEN ROC

DJ G-Funk, Calyx and Trence were live at Eden Roc on Thursday, Feb. 8. Not only in a sense that they were performing, but in a sense that electrons flowed from their fingertips and onto

DJ G-Funk, Calyx and Trence were live at Eden Roc on Thursday, Feb. 8. Not only in a sense that they were performing, but in a sense that electrons flowed from their fingertips and onto their turntables as funky beats pulsated through the speakers of the club.

Alternating between the first two floors of Eden Roc, G-Funk (Mike Godshall), Calyx (Christopher Pieretti) and Trence (Terry Burstein) entertained with a collective composition of music genres. G-Funk performed an excellent set of house music, integrating tribal beats and deep sexy house with a few new popular releases such as Daft Punk’s new single “One More Time” and a house remix of Dido’s “Thankyou.” He played whatever increased the energy of the crowd.

Calyx pumped a delightfully diverse set of jazz, funk and soul that made everyone dance. Trence was diggin’ the crates to provide an equally eclectic set of old skool hip-hop for the crowd’s enjoyment.

Calyx and Trence were acquaintances through a friend before Calyx met G-Funk at the Bayou, a bar in Manayunk. These up and coming DJs teamed up to form an alliance of their diverse music genres and named it Collective. There is still another aspect of diversity that they hope to one day integrate into their trio: live bands.

“That would be truly collective,” said Calyx, “and that’s what we’re hoping to bring to the scene.”

The members of Collective want everyone to have a good time, and through their diverse music they hope to make that possible for every one in the club. “We’re just trying to bring everybody together,” said Calyx. “All types of music and all types of people.”

So far, G-Funk, Calyx and Trence have been successful. The attendance at Eden Roc was limited; however, the crowd was diverse and entertained.

“Besides DJs, we’re entertainers,” said G-Funk. “Our energy and music goes out to the crowd. We might even run out on the floor and start dancing.” This is exactly what G-Funk did, following his 1 a.m. set. In nothing but a white-ribbed muscle shirt and jeans, G-Funk got down with the ladies on the main dance floor.

The association between the members of Collective may be random, but their goal is not. Their goal is to produce diverse music to entertain eclectic people. With the help and opportunity given by Eden Roc club-owner, Dominic, the collective crew have met their goal. There are still other aspects and facets which they hope to develop, but “They got to start somewhere,” said Dominic.

Further opportunities await these DJs at the Grape Street Pub (105 Grape Street) in Manayunk. Starting Feb. 21, G-Funk, Calyx and Trence will be performing every Wednesday night at that venue.

Collective will continue their electric and entertaining performance every Thursday night at Eden Roc (1437 South Street).