Bush administration tries to govern world

Responses may be posted on the forum below President Bush made two very startling announcements this week regarding America and his fight to keep us supreme. It seems that Bush would like to be remembered

Responses may be posted on the forum below

President Bush made two very startling announcements this week regarding America and his fight to keep us supreme.

It seems that Bush would like to be remembered as the war president and the man who spent his tenure pissing off the rest of the world.

On Thursday he was set to announce a new approach to the U.N.-backed Kyoto environmental treaty, which he rejected, claiming it would hurt the U.S. economy and too many other nations were exempt. Bush’s rejection of that treaty drew strong criticism from countries around the world.

Bush, who presides over the world’s biggest polluter, plans to unveil a U.S. led approach to modestly reducing dangerous greenhouse gases. One can only assume this means destroying the environment at a slower rate instead of eliminating a world disaster altogether.

How can America blatantly shrug off problems that it largely creates and sustains and expect people to go along with it?

I can hardly contain myself thinking about the next generation being forced to wear protective suits and oxygen tanks just to step out the front door and get the mail.

Since the State of the Union address last month, Bush has made it a point to attack three countries: Iraq, Iran and North Korea, when few problems are actually erupting from this area.

Following the September 11 terrorist attacks, Iran openly derided those responsible. After the deterioration of the Taliban government of Afghanistan, Iran made the first move to enter into talks with the U.S. to help form the new Afghan government. Iran’s part in the negotiations was publicly applauded by the U.S. government. And now this?

And North Korea? When did they become such a major threat or problem? Why isn’t America worrying more about Israel and Palestine?

On Wednesday, the Bush administration went public with plans to topple Saddam Hussein. Like his new environmental initiative, this is strictly U.S. led.

In the Feb. 13 issue of The Philadelphia Inquirer, senior Bush officials said the upcoming vice presidential trip to the Middle East was not to ask for support. “He’s going to inform them that the President’s decision has been made and will be carried out,” he said.

Only a country so bold, who still apparently doesn’t see how we got into the Sept. 11 fiasco, could move ahead in the way that America is.

This also has larger repercussions than the “war” in Afghanistan. In that case, we, at least, had support, but in this case, America finds itself standing alone. The Inquirer reported that “Russia and most of America’s European allies have expressed alarm.”

Iraq’s neighbors can not take a stance at this time ? not without expecting repercussions.

If, in fact, Iraq has biological warfare weaponry, this is the best reason Hussein has had to use them against us and to muscle his way throughout the Middle East.

In any case, both of Bush’s decisions spell disaster both imminent and prolonged. I said it once and I’ll say it again: How does this man enjoy such a high approval rating?