Bush is ready for war, but are we?

A week has passed since protesters took to the streets of Washington against the war in Iraq. Millions around the globe demanded that Washington hear their voices of anger and discontent, which were seen across

A week has passed since protesters took to the streets of Washington against the war in Iraq.

Millions around the globe demanded that Washington hear their voices of anger and discontent, which were seen across America on local news stations, as well as on the front pages of newspapers.

But were they heard?

Following the protest, the White House response praised freedom of speech.

However, the president is more adamant than ever to carry out his war plans.

With a world of opposition, President Bush is still urging for war.

Bush’s actions, which give encouragement to his supporters, and unpatriotic scorn to his opponents, are more of a personal vendetta than an attempt to miraculously “end all terrorism.”

The Bush family has been trying to oust Saddam Hussein since the late ’80s, when George Bush Sr. was in office.

Today, the indictment is the same: Hussein has weapons of mass destruction, and has been responsible for mass corruption.

But how many countries are innocent of these charges?

Not many, including America, “Land of the Free.”

As Americans, we point our fingers at everyone’s wrongdoing but our own.

We cannot wrap ourselves in a false sense of patriotism that convinces us that we will easily win this war.

It is time that we look at our own actions, especially in regards to the rest of the world.

Part of the new U.N. resolution, prepared by President Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair, calls for the total reconstruction of the Iraqi government– starting with the ousting of Saddam Hussein and his regime.

The next phase is to implement an interim government headed by an American civilian, which would build the foundations for the future rule of Iraq.

The final phase is a new Iraqi administration presiding over the new government.

This is not democracy.

Pushing for war over worldwide demonstrations, then forcibly changing the government of another country is not the way to bring peace to the world, or to win the hearts of our Islamic brethren.

Our president and other pro-war activists are arrogantly confident in the ploy to take control of Iraq.

Yet, it is commonly forgotten that the U.S. will not only be fighting Iraq, but other nations as well.

In the extremists’ eyes, this is Islamic jihad, and the Arab world is ready for war.

The question is, are we?

Hussein has been a threat for over a decade, and he needs to be disarmed.

But there are other ways to disarm him without jumping into a war that lacks democratic approval and concrete evidence of its necessity.

Mosheh M. Gains can be reached at journalistMG@aol.com.