Butler verbals to Temple

Although Temple fell to Florida 72-64 in the Coaches versus Cancer tournament on Thursday, the day wasn’t all bad. Highly rated recruit Keith Butler made a verbal commitment to Temple on Thursday. The 6-foot-10 forward

Although Temple fell to Florida 72-64 in the Coaches versus Cancer tournament on Thursday, the day wasn’t all bad.

Highly rated recruit Keith Butler made a verbal commitment to Temple on Thursday. The 6-foot-10 forward is currently enrolled at Celestial Academy in North Philadelphia.

Butler chose Temple over Miami, Cincinnatti and North Carolina.

Notes

Smith gets the tie
Temple freshman Hawley Smith was introduced to one of Temple coach John Chaney’s greatest traditions on Thursday.

Smith was informally presented Chaney’s tie from the loss to Florida. Chaney gives ties away to various players and members of the media throughout the season.

A-10 to move tournament
The Atlantic 10 has made a change in the future of the conference tournament. The tournament will be at the First Union Spectrum this March but will move to Dayton next season.

In 2003 and 2004, the first rounds of the tournament will be played at home sites. The final two rounds will be at the UD Arena in Dayton, OH.

“The UD Arena is one of the finest basketball facilities in the country,” conference commissioner Linda Bruno said Thursday. “The Dayton and Cincinnati areas are hotbeds of college basketball, which we believe will embrace our championship.”