Campus Rec rewards active students

Students can log their physical activity at the IBC and Pearson and McGonigle Halls to receive benefits this fall.

Students play basketball in the Fitness Mezzanine of Pearson and McGonigle Halls. Students can receive activity rewards through two fitness programs. Allan Barnes | TTN

Working out just became a little bit more rewarding for students.

Temple’s Campus Recreation has just re-launched its Fitness Mezzanine and Swim into Shape rewards programs this fall. Both aim to provide incentives for students who exercise.

“We wanted to do something interactive to get people to get to know the program,” John Doman, associate director of Campus Recreation, said. “We’ve done a lot of promotion here as well as a lot of cross promotion at the [recreation center] since it’s so packed.”

The Fitness Mezzanine opened in Pearson-McGonigle Hall in November 2012. Doman said  the fitness center was not really promoted until recently, making it somewhat less popular for gym goers.

Though the Fitness Mezzanine does not produce the foot traffic of the International Blue Cross Recreation Center, Doman said the smaller size of the space is attractive in a way.

“It’s one of those things where it’s actually a good thing,” Doman said. “We have equipment like the IBC has — like treadmills, and ellipticals — but if students want a smaller environment to work out in, this is a good place for them to come.”

Quan King, an operations manager who oversees the Fitness Mezzanine, agreed with Doman. Though he said that there is an initiative to increase attendance, having mass amounts of people in the space at one time is not the ultimate goal.

“I think that one of the interesting things about this space is that it is kind of exclusive,” King said. “We’re looking to increase attendance, but a bunch of foot traffic isn’t the main concern — it’s really there to give students an incentive to work out.

“I really like to see people grow through exercise,” King said. “It makes me feel like I am a mentor in a different way.”

Students can register at the Mezzanine or on the 3rd floor of the IBC. They can then log their visits at the Fitness Mezzanine during normal hours of operation using the rewards card that they are given when they register for the program.

After 20 visits, the participant will receive a prize or prize pack — with a maximum of two prizes given away to him or her each semester.

The Fitness Mezzanine is home to 12 cardio machines, eight selectorized pieces, interactive Xbox Kinect and Nintendo Wii gaming stations and two heavy bag and two speed bag workout stations.

“I think that people know about the mezzanine, but it’s definitely a site where the offerings aren’t as complete,” King said. “Last semester more people have signed up than before — so we’re looking to see if we get more this time, since registration hasn’t closed yet.”

Doman also said that because Campus Recreation is now open later, both Fitness Mezzanine and Swim Into Shape rewards programs should be positively affected.

“Just by being open, the numbers will increase,” he said. “With the pool we used to break up the hours – we had a morning swim and then we would break it up until about 9 p.m.”

Doman said that the number of people during the pool’s peak time will now spread out due to the extended hours. Though Doman said that Campus Recreation mostly sees the same people participate in its programs every year, Swim into Shape has been highly successful.

“These activities are used to get some different people involved with our facilities,” Doman said. “With Swim into Shape, we get over 100 people each year.”

Taylor Mullens, an aquatics coordinator who overseas the Swim Into Shape program at

Campus Recreation, said that program’s participants stay “pretty steady” throughout the semester.“The program is always going on throughout the year—so most people start the semester off and just keep going until they get up to 20 miles,” Mullens said. “I think that it holds people accountable because everyone is usually more motivated when there is a reward at the end.”

Students log their lengths for Swim Into Shape by coloring in the lanes of a pool diagram on a sheet given to them by Campus Recreation. To complete a mile, swimmers must log 70 lengths—when they reach 20 miles they will receive a prize.

“My parents put me in swimming lessons when I was ‘itty bitty,’” Mullens said. “I just love the positivity about people taking time out of their day to do something healthy for themselves like swimming—it really teaches them accountability.”

Sienna Vance can be reached at sienna.vance@temple.edu