CAMPUS SHUTTLE GOING THROUGH GROWING PAINS

The yellow light flashes in the darkness of the night. The Temple shuttle, a familiar sight on campus, provides a safe method of transportation to and from various points on and off Temple’s campus. The

The yellow light flashes in the darkness of the night.

The Temple shuttle, a familiar sight on campus, provides a safe method of transportation to and from various points on and off Temple’s campus.

The dusk till dawn shuttle is easily available by dialing 1-TRIP. Implemented through the Temple Police headquarters, the shuttle is a method of protecting the welfare of students.

Although the shuttle helps students to avoid the dangers of the city, students feel that the service does have its faults.

Sophomore Casey Dietrich said, ” The shuttle takes a long time to pick me up, but it is good because it is safe.” This similar feeling of having to wait resonates throughout many Temple students.

Compared to years past, the shuttle service has improved.

“We have made improvements according to the voices of students,” said Temple Police Deputy Director Charles Leone.

Temple has purchased two new vans, and has also created a single dispatch center solely dealing with the shuttle service.

Leone feels that with the help of Bunmie Samuel, Temple Student Government President, they have only bettered the service to accommodate the needs of Temple’s student body.

Even with the new vans and focused dispatching, many students remain unsatisfied.

“I call the shuttle to drive me to Diamond Street, but when it takes too long I just end up walking across campus,” said Christine Haug, a Temple Towers resident.

On a given night, there are at least four student drivers making runs around campus.

The student drivers are carefully selected through a tough application process. The drivers are first interviewed and then go through a record check before they are put through the driving exam and orientation.

In situations where drivers do not show up, Leone ensured, “There are on call drivers at all times, and also personnel working in the office to fill in if needed.”

Sophomore Megan Guest did not find that situation when she requested a shuttle. Guest called for the shuttle one night, and was told that because of a driver shortage, they were not able to send one.

“Someone had to walk me home, but I should be able to rely on Temple to get me home safely, especially at late hours of the night,” Guest said.

The problem arises often with off-campus situations. For students on campus, the dusk till dawn shuttle runs in addition to the Facilities Management bus that circles campus nightly. Between the two shuttles, students travelling on campus should be assured to find a safe ride at night.

Students travelling to and from areas just off campus may just have to be more patient to ensure their safety while the system continues to improve.

“It generally takes five to ten minutes for the shuttle to arrive,” Leone said, “in some cases where there is a backlog, it may take a little longer, but we are doing our best.”

The shuttle service has its downsides, but it does provide safe transportation to students.

“I’m glad Temple offers the opportunity for students to travel safely,” said junior Heidi Toth.

“The shuttle is a great way for students to get around campus at night with both protection and convenience,” Leone said.