Carney appointed university architect

To assist with parts of the 20/20 plan, Margaret Carney was named university architect. Starting April 1, Margaret Carney will assume her position as university architect to help develop some aspects of the 20/20 plan.

To assist with parts of the 20/20 plan, Margaret Carney was named university architect.

Starting April 1, Margaret Carney will assume her position as university architect to help develop some aspects of the 20/20 plan.

“My immediate plans are to immerse myself in the Temple community and culture so that I can truly represent the university community in decisions related to design and campus planning,” Carney said in an email. “I plan to meet a lot of people, listen to their ideas, opinions and sentiments about the campus and make sure they are all considered as we introduce a more formal design review process at the university.”

Carney has been recognized for her work in urban design planning, both in Boston and Cleveland. Carney is arriving at Temple from Case Western Reserve University in Ohio. She has been involved in university planning, design and construction in her previous positions.

According to university communications, Carney will oversee the implementation of 20/20 framework for campus development, along with beautifying and improving Main Campus through involvement in landscaping, architecture, design, sustainability and campus planning.

“Collaboration with faculty, administrators, students, community members and Temple staff, especially the Office of Facilities Management and [the] design teams assigned to various capital projects, will be a big part of my role,” Carney said.

“I am especially interested in the way the campus and surrounding neighborhoods interface, so that improvements made to the campus also have a positive impact on the character of the neighborhoods,” she added.

“What I hope to accomplish is the continued transformation of the existing campuses into effective and memorable places where people spend years of their lives feeling inspired and supported by the built environment,” she said.

Carney also said she is excited to work in the Temple community and create an environment that “supports the university’s academic and research mission while also inspiring the people who will experience this campus for generations to come.”

Maura Lieberman can be reached at maura.lieberman@temple.edu.