CD Reviews

Floetry Floetic (DreamWorks) The London duo, comprised of singer songwriter Marsha Ambrosius and emcee songwriter Natalie Stewart, describe their combination of soul and spoken word as “poetic delivery with musical intent.” Floetry owes their shiny

Floetry
Floetic
(DreamWorks)

The London duo, comprised of singer songwriter Marsha Ambrosius and emcee songwriter Natalie Stewart, describe their combination of soul and spoken word as “poetic delivery with musical intent.”

Floetry owes their shiny new record deal to Philly-native Jeffrey Townes, aka DJ Jazzy Jeff, and A Touch of Jazz Productions that helped create Floetic.

Floetry’s sound is unmistakably original and almost indescribably fresh.

Floetic is an insightful and energetic mixture of soul, jazz and hip hop.

Rarely can a group be called groundbreaking, but Floetry definitely deserves such a title.

Each track on Floetic is a unique intrigue.

Standout tracks on this album include “Getting Late,” “If I was a Bird” and the radio-hit title track, composed by the pair as a defining anthem.

Some bands toil for years at creating grandiose musical journeys, attempting to move fans into artificially created and hollow settings.

Floetry avoids this by simply speaking with raw emotion and unique talent.
– Matthew Ray

Karate
Some Boots
(Southern)

Some Boots sounds like a bit of a digression for the Boston-based Karate.

When you consider, however, how musically schooled this trio is (they all studied at the Berklee College of Music), it becomes apparent this evolving rawness was an intricate plan, centered on the band’s metamorphosis from muted rock to jazz improv and what falls between.

Two standout tracks, the back-to-basics “Original Spies” and the bluesy “Ice or Ground?,” highlight the unique sound and styling of singer/guitarist Geoff Farina.

Often compared to Fugazi, mostly for their politically infused lyrics, Karate seems to continuously separate itself from categorization, which is unfortunately and most likely what has kept them from establishing a similar fan base.

Those who have been following Karate should be pleased with the outcome of this latest effort, while those interested in a first listen might benefit by starting farther back in the band’s collection (The Bed is in The Ocean is a must hear).

– Heather Duffy