CD REVIEWS

Linkin Park Meteora (Warner Brothers) Linkin Park’s third disc in two years, Meteora, snaps, crackles and pops with the same ferocity and melodic roar fans and critics have come to know and love. The album

Linkin Park
Meteora
(Warner Brothers)

Linkin Park’s third disc in two years, Meteora, snaps, crackles and pops with the same ferocity and melodic roar fans and critics have come to know and love.

The album goes straight for the jugular by putting emphasis on steel-mill guitars and raging harmonics with all the trimmings of techno and hip-hop.

“Somewhere I Belong,” “Hit The Floor” and “Lying From You” finds the band in familiar territory, with singer Chester Bennington and emcee Mike Shinoda sharing vocal duties atop a wall of sound powerful enough to level a building.

“Breaking The Habit” and “Faint” find the band beautifully intertwining pulsating techno beats with chainsaw guitars.

Bennington’s chameleon-like voice remains the backbone of Meteora’s sound- from blood-curdling bursts of aggression in “Don’t Stay” to soul-soothing melodies in “Numb.”

With its grandeur and polished production, Meteora has enough sizzle and flair to keep listeners’ attention from beginning to end.

Vonray
Vonray
(Elektra)

From Florida’s budding rock scene comes the modern rock quintet Vonray and their self-titled sophomore release.

Vonray puts the modern rock guide for success to heavy use; spiritually lifting choruses amid hooky guitars and swooping harmonies with the occasional acoustically driven tune.

The bulk of the album puts an emphasis on singer/guitarist Vaughan Rhea’s throaty bellowing with the guitars and drums playing the part of supporting actor on tracks like “I’m Leaning” and “Strange.”

Rhea does take a back seat and lets the rest of the band (guitarist Garrett Coleman, bassit Dave Rhea and drummer Jeff Irizarry) let loose and churn out three slamming tracks in a row.

Unfortunately, the fun stops there.

The band finishes the album with “I knew it was coming” a ballad that quickly zaps the energy produced by the previous tracks.

Vonray’s downside is that it lacks the charisma and gritty feel of a good modern rock record.

No blistering guitar solos, thundering drum fills or punchy bass lines.