CD REVIEWS

With a new deal and a new label, T.I. looks to prove his worth in the rap scene. Trap Muzik, the latest from the Atlanta native, reveals a mature thug who brings innovation while keeping

With a new deal and a new label, T.I. looks to prove his worth in the rap scene.

Trap Muzik, the latest from the Atlanta native, reveals a mature thug who brings innovation while keeping it gangsta.

“The Trap” is southern slang for drug spots, but Muzik isn’t completely about fiends and G’s. T.I.’s variety of subject matter keeps the record fresh.

On “T.I. vs. T.I.P.” T.I. takes an introspective look into his past actions by battling himself. “I Can’t Quit” illustrates his label woes: “Ten years an album and two deals/ Foreal/ We all know he shoulda sold two mil.”

Yet platinum plaques aren’t the only things on T.I.’s mind. Respect for the game is shown in “No Mo’ Talk” where he slams rappers who don’t come original.

Trap Muzik’s production is quality southern funk with less bounce and more soul courtesy of Kanye West, David Banner and Jazze Pha.

Despite being “The King of the South,” as T.I. loudly proclaims, this album is less crunk and more funk, It’s a welcome change from the southern screamers currently prevalent on the air and in the club. T.I. remains cocky, but his head is firmly planted on his shoulders.