CD REVIEWS

Nappy Roots Wooden Leather (Atlantic) Nappy Roots are much more appealing in theory than in actual execution. The thought of a hip-hop group from Kentucky who reject current gangster trends and basically rap about being

Nappy Roots
Wooden Leather
(Atlantic)

Nappy Roots are much more appealing in theory than in actual execution.

The thought of a hip-hop group from Kentucky who reject current gangster trends and basically rap about being from the South seems as though it’s one of those rare notions which triumphs on its uniqueness alone.

However, listening to Wooden Leather reveals that Nappy Roots have a delivery that leaves a great deal to be desired.

Everything on Wooden Leather feels like a retread from the past. While some would say it is a delight in familiarity, it sounds more like a failure of similarity.

The rhyming is slow and methodical, while the southern-fried beats wear thin as soon as the first high hat sounds.

The only redeeming quality on the album is the social awareness. The first cut, “Good God Almighty,” is a thoughtful commentary on the state of the world today. There are elements to the Nappy Roots that can be appreciated, mostly the upbeat and socially aware lyrics.

Unfortunately, on Wooden Leather, there is nothing captivating enough to attract a lonesome ear. The songs seem to mush together, sounding like a