CD Reviews

Various Artists Coach Carter (Capitol/MTV) The Coach Carter soundtrack was released prior to the debut of the highly anticipated movie. There was not much talk about the soundtrack, but the album is filled with many

Various Artists
Coach Carter
(Capitol/MTV)

The Coach Carter soundtrack was released prior to the debut of the highly anticipated movie. There was not much talk about the soundtrack, but the album is filled with many popular artists, as well as other upcoming artists.

The Game shows he fits into the rap game when he shows off his young talent on “Southside,” in which he tags up with Lil Scrappy.

Following these rap beats, Ciara cools it down with “Roll Wit You,” Common and Kanye West’s “Wouldn’t You Like to Ride?” is a good mix of R&B and pop, and Twista and Faith Evans have the only song on the album that has really seen any radio time in the uplifting “Hope.” Along with Twista’s super fast yet calm rapping, there is a mellow beat with the smooth singing of Faith Evans.

It was not only big-named singers that make the Coach Carter soundtrack so good, though. “All Night Long” by Red Cafe definitely competes for the best song on the album.

The Game
The Documentary
(Aftermath)

With the future of rap heading into a questionable direction, outstanding rapper and producer Dr. Dre helped the music he loves by signing fellow Compton-born rapper Jayceon Taylor-The Game.

In his debut album, The Documentary, The Game flat out shows the world that Dr. Dre still knows talent when he hears it.

Case and point: The first released single from the album, “How We Do,” which features 50 Cent, has been a club hit. Many other big names are featured on the album as well.

The Documentary, a biography of The Game’s life is great from start to finish. Throughout the album he reflects on everything from selling drugs on the streets of Compton, to his love for his son, to being rejected by other producers before being signed by Dre. At the same time, The Game makes it great to hear.

The Documentary is only the beginning for the young rapper. The new year has quickly turned into “Game” time, but don’t expect The Game to be over anytime soon.