Celebs hotter than the summer heat

Come and get it. Summer is over, for better or worse, but Dirt still brings the heat. No time to waste. The success story of last spring, this summer and the foreseeable future is Mariah

Come and get it. Summer is over, for better or worse, but Dirt still brings the heat. No time to waste.

The success story of last spring, this summer and the foreseeable future is Mariah Carey. Her disc The Emancipation of Mimi gave her the best first-week sales of her career back in April, and has spawned Carey’s biggest ever single (the luminous “We Belong Together” and inevitable remix) which still sits atop the Billboard Hot 100. The LP has since been certified multiplatinum and her second single, “Shake It Off” (another Jermaine Dupri club banger) is only three slots away from numero uno at press time.

Work, Mariah. Work.

Recording royalty was in full show-out this past weekend, with the advent of the Video Music Awards hosted by the newly-christened Diddy. Star packed as you can imagine. Shall I list the names in bold?

Sound off: Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, Kanye West, Lil’ Kim, Eric Roberts (come again?), Eva Longoria, Kelly Clarkson, Jessica Simpson, Pharrell …you get the point.

Many highlights. You can catch them all on MTV, running on loop for the next six weeks. And P.S., five bucks to any Dirt fan that can get me a transcript of every obscenity and death threat 50 Cent screamed at Fat Joe and shot-in-the-leg Suge Knight during his performance.

What else? What else? Shall I braise the box office stinker that marked Ashlee Simpson’s big screen debut? That’s correct; Undiscovered had the worst opening of the summer season (Sorry, Kelly). Perhaps we should switch back to the reality circuit, Ashlee.

TV land is not starved for reality, however, and this columnist has a new favorite. Tell me you all have witnessed the train wreck that is Taradise? The E! Entertainment network finally added two and two, realizing they could shove a camera crew inside Tara Reid’s Fendi clutch and catch her drunken antics on tape!

Wild On: Tara is my official must-see (look for Tara in Pamplona drinking Vodka and Red Bull instead of running with the bulls!). Also look for Tommy Lee’s obscenely big … huge … television debut with Tommy Lee Goes to College. Stoner hit.

Gwyneth Paltrow has some post break-up advice for Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston: shut up.

“It would be a lot easier on Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston now … had they not talked to the press about each other and everything to begin with,” the beauty and Best Actress winner tells Time. Next up for Paltrow is the highly anticipated screen version of Proof, the Pulitzer Prize winning play about a mad mathematician and his equally brilliant daughter. Look for Anthony Hopkins to co-star.

In other news, Britney and Kevin are busy bees as they prepare for the arrival of their firstborn. Kevin finally got a job, teaching dance in Los Angeles. I’d say where but I’m bored already. Meanwhile Brit popped in on lil’ sis Jamie Lynn on the set of her sitcom Zoey 101 … and proceeded to harass Jamie’s 13-year- old co-star.

Reports say that Spears confronted the actress, calling her an “evil little girl” and threatening she would “never work in this town again.” Why the riff? Not confirmed. I’d guess Jamie’s little co-star was hogging all the craft service Cheetos and badgering the barista at the Starbucks tent.

Peace, love and Dirt.

Matt Donnelly can be reached at mattdonn@temple.edu.