Cell phones spawn the new face of photography

The cell phone, once an incredible innovation allowing any two people to converse, has created a plethora of new changes and trends. It was bound to happen. Cell phones are no longer used just for

The cell phone, once an incredible innovation allowing any two people to converse, has created a plethora of new changes and trends. It was bound to happen.

Cell phones are no longer used just for conversation. They can also be used to take and send pictures. Believe it or not, they are even changing the way we create art.

Camera phones have taken over, quickly becoming the latest craze among photographers and artists.

College students representing Philadelphia’s top art schools, are pushing their camera phones to the limit by proving just how much can be done with a Samsung VGA 1000, some impressive digital technology and a little creativity.

On Nov. 14, amateur artists from Drexel University, Moore College of Art and Design, University of the Arts, Hussian School of Art and The Art Institute of Philadelphia will display this unique brand of photography at the “Philadelphians on Their Phones” art exhibit.

Sprint, Hi-Fi House and Philadelphia Style magazine are sponsoring the one-night event.

Emily DiTomo, an executive with Gregory FCA Communications, the public relations firm overseeing the exhibit, is enthusiastic about the future of camera phones as a means of creating art.

“This is a way for student artists to capture every moment as it happens,” DiTomo said.

This type of art exhibit is the first of its kind in the United States and first in the world to feature the kind of dazzling technology that will be used to display the photos.

High-tech, flat-panel plasma TVs will showcase every digital image. DiTomo is excited about the use of high technology in displaying the students’ artworks.

“It is a new medium to explore and turns their art from typical photos into digital masterpieces,” DiTomo said. “I encourage people to see where the next phase in digital art is going to go.”

“Philadelphians on Their Phones” will open at the High Wire Gallery, 139 N. Second St., from 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. The exhibit is free and open to the public.

Gina Sicilia can be reached at gina123@temple.edu