Center City housing option available for rising sophomores

Rising sophomores now have a chance to live in Temple-sponsored off-campus housing in Center City. The Strawbridge Building, located at 811 Filbert St., was a warehouse that Philadelphia Management has renovated into an eight-story apartment

Rising sophomores now have a chance to live in Temple-sponsored off-campus housing in Center City.

The Strawbridge Building, located at 811 Filbert St., was a warehouse that Philadelphia Management has renovated into an eight-story apartment building.

Temple will be taking over floors four through eight for housing next fall. This will create a total of 239 beds that will be offered to sophomores for housing next year.

“Temple was realizing a demand for housing, especially for rising sophomores,” said Director of News and Media Relations Harriet Goodheart.

She also said Temple has noticed that students like apartment-style living.

There will be one resident director and five resident assistants, as well as a security desk that will be staffed 24 hours a day. The same rules by which students on campus abide will also apply to students living at Strawbridge.

The building has one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments with a living/dining room, bathroom for each bedroom and a kitchen, all of which will be furnished by Philadelphia Management.

Students will be given cable access but they will have to arrange for their own telephone and Internet access. Because of this inconvenience, there will be a $100 discount per semester.

There will also be a 24-hour shuttle, but there will be no stops between Strawbridge and Temple.

“It’s kind of far.” said freshman Eugene Warner, who will be living at Strawbridge next year. “But with the shuttle it won’t be a problem.”

The location of the Strawbridge Building is convenient to many students because of its close proximity to shops and restaurants.

Because Philadelphia Management is in charge of the Kardon Building, Temple has already established a relationship with the company.

“It’s a great location,” said freshman Jessica Treese, who was assigned to Strawbridge. “There’s lots of things to do. At first I didn’t want to live there, but then I thought, ‘I’m going to be 20, living in Center City.’ That’s amazing.”

The developer hopes to arrange for parking permits in a nearby parking garage, but the rates and number of spaces available has not yet been determined.

There are also laundry facilities on every floor. Lounges and a fitness room are located within the building.

“It’s an apartment,” said Warner of his one-bedroom apartment. “It’s better than a dorm, which is just a room with a desk and a bed.”

Hannah Davis can be reached at hdavis@temple.edu.