Cereality breaks the fast with bizarre concoctions

Do you ever dream of forbidden cereal concoctions? Ever fantasize about mixing Fruit Loops with Wheaties, but lack courage to create such a bold mixture? The unconventional Cereality Cereal Bar and Café, the latest café

Do you ever dream of forbidden cereal concoctions? Ever fantasize about mixing Fruit Loops with Wheaties, but lack courage to create such a bold mixture?

The unconventional Cereality Cereal Bar and Café, the latest café craze in University City, offers everyday cereal with a twist.

At Cereality, a simple breakfast tradition is transformed into a fine delicacy comprised of ingredients not typically found in a bowl of cereal. Raisin Bran and Lucky Charms in strawberry milk drizzled with chocolate syrup? Only at Cereality, of course.

At first, the concept of an all-cereal café sounds like a genius idea. After eating at Cereality, however, you may wonder if it’s silly to pay even a few dollars for what appears to be just a glorified bowl of cereal. You might find the unusual blends of cereal and ingredients at Cereality to be delicious, but if you’re not a true cereal lover, you might find them unappetizing.

If you do happen to be a cereal enthusiast, Cereality is a decent place to visit.

Even the atmosphere is an adventure.

This purple-walled café at 36th and Walnut streets looks like a fantasy funhouse with playful furnishings and a youthful crowd. Cereal boxes serve as the main décor at the bar, and paintings and displays of cereal adorn the colorful walls.

At Cereality you can choose among a variety of cereals and toppings: From Froot Loops to Corn Flakes, peaches to mini-marshmallows, this place has it all.

If you’re indecisive about which blend of ingredients you’d like to add, one of Cereality’s pre-designed cereal mixtures is an excellent option. The PB&B Crunch (Reeses Puffs and Cap’n Cunch with raisins, bananas, and chocolate syrup) makes a scrumptious anytime-of-day meal or snack.

Cereality also offers “Hot Blends” like “Peachy Keen,” which is made up of hot oatmeal, peaches, cranberries, and graham cracker bits.

The cereal mixture is conveniently served in a container resembling a Chinese take-out box, after which you can help yourself to the “Moo Machine.” Here you can top off your cereal creation with three different kinds of milk.

The café also sells other tasty and innovative items like “Slurrealities,” smoothies with a special cereal twist. The “Mucho Mocha” comes with milk, mocha, chocolate syrup and Cocoa Puffs.

Cereality Bar and Café is open seven days a week and most items are priced at under $4.

While the concept of Cereality is undoubtedly creative, and it’s certainly a fun place, don’t go out of your way to visit.

After paying the cost of transportation to and from University City, plus the $4 for your cereal, you might just find you’re better off saving your next Chinese takeout box and throwing together some cereal you already have in your cabinet. Without much effort you can save precious dollars and create your own, personal cereal masterpiece.

Gina Sicilia can be reached at Gina123@temple.edu.