Chaney suspended for rest of regular season

In response to men’s basketball coach John Chaney’s actions in Tuesday’s game against Saint Joseph’s, president David Adamany has suspended Chaney for the remainder of the regular season. In a statement released this afternoon, Adamany

In response to men’s basketball coach John Chaney’s actions in Tuesday’s game against Saint Joseph’s, president David Adamany has suspended Chaney for the remainder of the regular season.

In a statement released this afternoon, Adamany will prohibit Chaney from coaching the Owls’ last three games. Chaney was already due to miss tomorrow’s game against Massachusetts because of a self-imposed one-game suspension. He will now be absent from a March 2 game at Rhode Island and the season finale March 5 against La Salle.

Adamany’s decision was a departure from his statement Wednesday that “Chaney’s apology and self-suspension [of the UMass game] set an example” of taking responsibility for one’s actions.”

The Owls trailed by seven points Tuesday when Chaney sent in seldom-used senior forward Nehemiah Ingram with 15:24 remaining in the second half. The Hawks had used a series of illegal screens to free up their shooters, Chaney said.

Ingram collected five fouls, including a technical, in four minutes of play. He delivered a hard foul to St. Joe’s forward John Bryant as Bryant attempted a layup. Bryant left the game and will miss the rest of the season with a fractured right forearm. When told in the postgame press conference that Bryant had been injured, Chaney said, “That’s what happens. I’m a mean, ornery SOB.” He said he sent in Ingram as a “goon.”

Chaney was suspended due to the severity of Bryant’s injury, Adamany said in his statement, which is posted on Owlsports.com.

After the loss to St. Joe’s, Chaney said his frustration was carried over from the Owls’ previous loss to the Hawks on Feb. 12 at the Palestra when he said St. Joe’s players set illegal screens that were never called.

In a conference call Monday, he warned that if the illegal screens persisted, he would take action.

Christopher A. Vito can be reached at cvitox01@temple.edu.

Benjamin Watanabe contributed to this report.