Cheap chills for Halloween thrills

Well, it’s that time of year: time for people to go stark raving mad. No, I’m not talking about midterms, but Halloween. But what’s the typical college student to do when funds are extremely low?

Well, it’s that time of year: time for people to go stark raving mad.

No, I’m not talking about midterms, but Halloween.

But what’s the typical college student to do when funds are extremely low?

The key is creativity.

Say it with me C-R-E-A-T-I-V-I-T-Y.

First, there are some costumes you might want to stray away from since we’ve seen them a million times before and you probably wore the same costume in elementary school.

A mummy, ghost or witch: these are no-no’s.

They’re definitely budget conscious and easy to make, but we can do better than that.

First consider personality and keep in mind that Halloween’s a day to be someone or something you’re not on a daily basis, so have fun with it.

If you’re typically a wallflower, go for a costume that will make you stand out in the crowd.

Anything bright and outrageous will do. Don’t be afraid to go overboard for a day.

Just make sure you don’t go too far and do anything criminal.

For the student who doesn’t want to spend any money at all, you have a few options.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

If you want to dress up for Halloween as a Temple freshman, pull out any and all Temple paraphernalia and wear it on your body.

Hats, sweats, stationary, anything goes!

And don’t forget to arrive to class extra early and complete all reading assignments.

Think optimistically and assume that all of your professors actually know what they’re talking about.

Want to be a “nerd” for a day, then go right ahead.

But if you’re going to be a nerd, be the best nerd you can be.

This requires determination.

Check way back in your closet for that hideous pair of pants you should have thrown away a long time ago and hike them up extra high so that you have at least two inches of your ankles showing when you walk.

Put some tape on an old pair of glasses and make sure you enthusiastically answer every single question your professor asks, even the rhetorical ones.

Also, use any and all materials you have lying around your room.

Most of us have an old cardboard box somewhere that can be used to make just about anything.

If you cut out holes for your neck and arms, the sky’s the limit.

By drawing different color squares on the box you instantly turn into a walking Rubik’s cube.

Better yet, transform yourself into an object that has a constant presence on college campuses.

The mighty cell phone.

It’s an annoyance to every professor, but you just gotta love those crazy ring tones.

Draw a keypad on a plain cardboard box and people will be tempted to dial down your center all day long.

If you’ve got a pack of purple or green balloons left over from a party, then you can convert into a bunch of grapes.

Just safety-pin the blown up balloons to an all black outfit and voila, you have a delectable costume that people are sure to salivate over.

However, there is a bit of a warning with this costume.

It might be kind of hard to sit down without bursting your grapes and if you run into a group of grape-popping thugs your costume may end up looking like a handful of grapes instead of a bunch. The choice is yours.

Halloween’s only once a year, so go out on a limb.

Whatever getup you decide upon, just make sure you use your creativity, have fun and dare to be different.

Just think of it this way, this is the only day you can mimic a prostitute or drug dealer without being arrested.

Patrice Williams can be reached at temple_news@hotmail.com