Club Sports Roundup: Oct. 5

Ice Hockey Last Sunday, the team had a rematch with its opponent from the season opener, Montclair State. It was not a repeat of the first meeting, though, and the team lost, 5-4, in overtime

Ice Hockey
Last Sunday, the team had a rematch with its opponent from the season opener, Montclair State. It was not a repeat of the first meeting, though, and the team lost, 5-4, in overtime for its first loss of the season.

Senior forward Jim McKenzie scored the first goal for the Owls in the first period after he took advantage of a Montclair turnover at the blue line. In that same period, Montclair would tie the score off a deflection in front of the net.

The second period saw the Owls jump out to a 4-1 lead. Senior forward Joe Pisko added a power-play goal and later assisted on senior forward Steve Danno’s one-timer goal. Temple’s fourth and final goal came when senior defenseman Mike Kozole blasted a slap shot past the Montclair goalie.

Despite the good vibes coming out of the team’s locker room in the third period, Montclair would come back to score three straight goals to force overtime in a period where the team began losing control of its play. The Owls would lose after a Montclair player capitalized on a loose puck in front on the net.

The team returns home to the Flyer’s Northeast Skate Zone to play Penn State Oct. 9, and the next day, the Owls will take on Pittsburgh at home.

Men’s Soccer
After losing its first two league games, the team rebounded with two straight wins last Saturday at Lehigh to bring its league match record back up to .500.

In its first game, the team took a 2-1 victory over Lehigh. Senior Midfielder Brian Weinhardt scored on a free kick and would later provide an assist on senior forward Kene Kwanah’s goal in the win.

In the Owls’ next game, the team defeated Kutztown, 5-0. Junior midfielder Jon Goldberg would open the scoring off an assist from Kwanah. Freshman midfielders Julian Carvaja and Marcelo Osorio-Soto would score the next three goals, with Carvaja having one and Osorio-Soto having the other two. Sophomore midfielder Marc Koleda would cap of the goal bonanza off an assist from freshman midfielder Brendan Kuluga.

The team returns to action on Oct. 9 with a home matchup against West Chester.

Tennis
The co-ed tennis team participated in an eight-team tournament this past weekend. The tournament was divided into two brackets, a gold bracket and silver bracket, each comprised of four teams. The teams in the gold bracket would be the ones who won their opening match, and the losers would go to the silver bracket.

The latter is where Temple landed, after the team lost by a combined score of 29-17 to Villanova. The scores are a combination of one men’s singles and one doubles, one women’s singles and one doubles, as well as one mixed-doubles match.

In the silver bracket, the team received a first round bye, thanks to a team backing out and not participating. Then the team beat Princeton in overtime, 22-21, to win the silver bracket and place fourth overall.
Women’s Soccer

The team opened its season with a 1-0 win over Saint Joseph’s on Sunday. Junior forward Jesse Fox beat a Red Hawks’ defender one-on-one to score the only goal of the game. Up next, the Owls will take on the New Jersey Flames, a reserve team, on Oct. 10.

Brian Dzenis can be reached at brian.dzenis@temple.edu.