Community Voice: Losing a technological battle

At 52, Lyle Sudler has never owned a car. A handyman of sorts for the past 30 years, Sudler always uses SEPTA or carpools to get to work. Though he notices the rising gas prices,

At 52, Lyle Sudler has never owned a car. A handyman of sorts for the past 30 years, Sudler always uses SEPTA or carpools to get to work. Though he notices the rising gas prices, he said, “everything is going sky high.”

commvoice
ASHLEY NGUYEN TTN Lyle Sudler waits for a bus to go to his work site at 25th and York streets, where he is working on a drywall project.

The SEPTA Board recently announced the transportation company is moving more toward “smart” technologies and leaving its traditional tokens and paper transfers behind. But Sudler called the move a “no-win situation.”

“There’s no money, so gas is going up because of the wars,” he said. “And now they’re getting rid of the simple stuff, and everything’s turning into plastic.”

SEPTA is also working toward allowing riders to use their smartphones to ride the subway.

“We’re in the computer age right now, so everything is at our fingertips,” Sudler said, adding that he doesn’t want to tap into the technological world. “People are putting too much out there. You don’t need to get stuck up with a gun. All they need is your PIN number.”

Ashley Nguyen can be reached at ashley.nguyen@temple.edu.