Community Voice: Reacting to Gov. Corbett’s cuts

For 62-year-old Albert Kendrick, Gov. Tom Corbett’s proposed budget seems a little off. “None of the stuff on that budget sounds right to me,” Kendrick said. “It seems so terrible.” Kendrick said he understands the

For 62-year-old Albert Kendrick, Gov. Tom Corbett’s proposed budget seems a little off.

“None of the stuff on that budget sounds right to me,” Kendrick said. “It seems so terrible.”

FEATURED.3.15.Communityvoice
JOSH FERNANDEZ TTN Albert Kendrick, 62, said he’s concerned about the effects of the governor’s proposed budget.

Kendrick said he understands the law requires Pennsylvania to have a balanced budget, but the consequences from the proposed 2011-12 budget, such as the elimination of 1,500 state jobs, are too severe.

“The layoffs that will come from this are so sad,” Kendrick said. “People have enough problems as it is with this economy, but getting laid off? That’s going to hurt them even more.”

“They could have at least proposed cutting hours or something, but cutting them out of their jobs completely is unfair,” he added.

Kendrick said he believed the cuts to public schools and state or state-related colleges and universities were the worst.

“This is really going to hurt the youth in the Philadelphia School District,” he said. “We tell kids they need to go to college and now, [the state government] is going to cut funding.”

“Any way you spin it, they’d still say he didn’t cut enough,” Kendrick added. “But we need to find somewhere else to cut or get money. These cuts are going to do more harm than good.”

Josh Fernandez can be reached at josh@temple.edu.