Computers in labs need work

A host of new computer services, ranging from upgraded email to wireless Internet surfing, are being offered to the Temple University community, but students have complaints about the quality of what is already offered. The

A host of new computer services, ranging from upgraded email to wireless Internet surfing, are being offered to the Temple University community, but students have complaints about the quality of what is already offered.

The computer labs that in the Tuttleman Learning Center and Paley Library are insufficient because they are “too noisy, and it is hard to formulate ideas when noise is in the background,” said junior James Garret.

“They are too distracting, and I really do not like them,” he said.

Junior Andrea Patterson agreed and added that the computer labs are hard to deal with because at times they are too crowded, and it becomes very hard to find a computer to use.

Other students found little fault with these two labs, but took issue with the labs available in the dormitories.

“I think the computer labs [in Tuttleman and Paley] are just fine because they are fast, and I really have no problems with them,” said junior Jonathan Cofer.

“The only problems I have are towards the labs in the dormitories because they are too slow and they are always broken.”

Patterson said that although labs in newer dorms like 1940 and 1300 were better maintained, the overall quality was low.

The printers in the labs also drew barbs from students, who said that printers were slow and that not enough laser or color printers were available.

“I have no problems with the computer labs, but they could add some color printers,” said junior Myrone Powell.

Although plans are being made to upgrade the computers available to student, Vice President of Computer Services Timothy O’Rourke said there are currently no definitive plans for increasing access to printers.

“The major problem with printers is most printing is not picked up by the students, and that is a complete waste of paper,” O’Rourke said.

“50 percent of all printings are not picked up…[it] is the biggest waste of money and paper for us, and paper is very expensive.”

“I would like better quality of printers [like color printers], but first I have to get rid of the waste,” he said.

O’Rourke said that one reason that there so much paper is being wasted is because printing in the labs is free and unlimited, and that this could end if the abuse of the privilege does not stop.

To improve the computer systems on campus and make them more satisfying to the student population, the University’s Computer Services department has instituted several new programs.

These improvements include setting the Student Center up for wireless Internet surfing and providing laptops free through a loan program so students can take advantage of the wireless technology.

A new 24-hour computer “megalab” is also planned, although details have not yet been released on when this will arrive.

The university is also replacing the Mailbox E-mail system with a new program that should be in place this summer.

This year, the current system has been overloaded and plagued with virus attacks.

Officials at Computer Services have said that the new system will be able to better filter out viruses and junk mail as well as handle more users.

Students say they will not shed tears once Mailbox has seen its final days.

“It is good we are getting a new E-mail system…because my current Temple account is really messed up,” said Patterson.

O’Rourke said that new E-mail system was not being put into place until after the end of the spring semester so that bugs could be worked out over the summer when there was less traffic on the system.

Jonathan Vann can be reached at jvann@temple.edu.