CONCERT REVIEW

Max Cavalera’s group Soulfly rocked the Electric Factory to its foundation on Friday the 13th. Slaves on Dope gave a great opening performance to the show with great tracks off their first album, Inches from

Max Cavalera’s group Soulfly rocked the Electric Factory to its foundation on Friday the 13th.

Slaves on Dope gave a great opening performance to the show with great tracks off their first album, Inches from the Mainline. Following Slaves on Dope was the energetic band Primer 55, who performed their hit “Loose” and other titles off their album Introduction to Mayhem. Downset, the last opening act to take the stage, prepped the audience for Soulfly with their violent assemblage of songs.

After three great opening acts the crowd’s momentum suffered due to 30 minutes of stage preparation. After completion of the elaborate stage, the floor of the Factory erupted with violent teenagers expressing their anger as Cavalera and the Soulfly tribe tore into the audience with “Back to the Primitive,” the single off their new album Primitive.

Fresh off of the Ozzfest tour, where they headlined the second stage, Soulfly continued their assault on fans with more violent songs from Primitive and self-titled 1998 debut album.

Cavalera, formerly of Sepultura, violently attacked his guitar during the vicious “No Hope=No Fear.” The crowd matched Cavarela’s intensity as fans tore into each other in the pit.

Because of Cavarela’s strong connection with his fans, the Brazilian dreadlocked front man has been called the “Bob Marley of metal.” Since rising from the Third World country, brings fans together, like Marley, through his homeland-inspired music. Soulfly is further linked to Marley by Primitive’s cover art, designed by Marley’s longtime designer Neville Garrick.

Anger-filled bodies soared throughout the pit during the song “Bleed.” In an unexpected move by many fans, Soulfly played “Umbabarauma,” which added more fuel to the inferno of fans.

Soulfly’s torrent of soul-searching intensity and rhythmic chaos bled through during the songs from the current album. Cavalera’s seething anger and frustration were easily noticed in the performances of “Bring It” and “Boom.”

During a display of respect only to be found at a hardcore concert like Soulfly, Cavarela wore a Jason mask during one song, paying homage to the film, Friday the 13th.

The in-your-face ferocity of “Jump Da Fuck Up” was hardly changed despite the absence of Corey from Slipknot who appears on the album. Members of Downset joined Soulfly to perform a crazy version of Primitive’s “Terrorist.”

Soulfly closed the show with an impressive performance of their hit, “Pain,” that featured guest appearances from members of Primer 55 and Slaves on Dope. The enraged inhuman howls bellowed by Cavarela are still ringing in my ears.

In spite of the awesome individual performances of each band, the night will be remembered for the unbelievable finale: Soulfly and guests banging wildly on drums in South American fashion. Soulfly’s album, Primitive, is worth checking out. Live, their passion and intensity are beyond words.