Construction trailer next to 1300 catches fire

ALYSSA SAYLOR/TTN A construction trailer near 1300 caught fire earlier today.

A fire in a construction trailer next to the 1300 Residence Hall led Campus Safety Services to evacuate the building.

The university released a TU advisory via e-mail at 2 p.m. to notify the student body. An advisory was released shortly after 3 p.m., indicating that the Fire Marshal and CSS have cleared the building for re-entry.

Hillel Hoffmann, the assistant director of news communications, said CSS has not reported any injuries.

Angelo Fichera TTN | A construction trailer next to 1300 caught fire earlier today, Wednesday Feb. 9.

CSS also told news communications it was unaware of any damage to 1300 and that the fire damage appears to be limited to the construction site by Park and Cecil B. Moore avenues at this time.

Evacuated students stood in the cold across the street from 1300.

“I saw the smoke from my fifth floor dorm room, and it smelled really bad,” said Alyssa Arthur, a junior psychology major.

Jordan Roberts, a sophomore accounting major said he left his laptop, wallet and other important belongs in his dorm room.

“First we smelled the smoke, and then we heard the fire alarms,” he said. “I have homework in there I have to get, so hopefully they’ll let us back in soon.”

University officials could not comment on the cause of the fire.

Josh Fernandez and Alyssa Saylor can be reached at news@temple-news.com.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*