Convocation welcomes class of 2012

The incoming class of 2012 walked out of the Liacouras Center front doors together for the first time. The next time they will be leaving in unison again, it will be for good.

The next generation of Owls, eager to embrace their new college identity with energy and enthusiasm filed into the Liacouras Center on August 28 for convocation, ceremony that symbolized the freshman academic journey.

Students filed into the Liacouras Center for the ceremony (Tim Bennett/TTN).

“I am so thrilled to welcome you to the Temple community,” Provost Lisa Staiano-Coico said.

“Hello entering class of 2012,” professor Scott Gratson said. “Welcome to Temple University.”

“I wanted to go away [from home for school] but not too far,” said freshman business major Vince Gasbarro from Delaware County. “I wanted to get into the city, and the new business building is exciting.”

President Ann Weaver Hart took command of the podium, welcoming the newcomers and encouraging them to serve Temple, while nurturing their talent and skills.

“I hope you can tell from what you’ve heard that this is a community,” Hart said. “We have 4,100 new students and 2,700 transfer students. This is the place you want to be to do anything and be anything you want. You’re an extraordinary group of young men and women. We are excited to have you here.”

The new student body sat in the cherry-red seats in the Liacouras Center and listened intently to the speakers. The freshman attendees nodded in agreement and cheered with enthusiasm.

“I see sons and daughters of union workers and single mother, but here, we are all equal.” Here at Temple University, we celebrate who we are and what we are,” Gratson said.

The convocation speakers reiterated the idea of community service to the students, encouraging them to get involved in student activities and groups with their respective schools.

Temple Student Government President Nadine F. Mompremier, the first female student body president, addressed the incoming class of 2012 and spoke fondly of the college experience.

“People weren’t kidding when they said there’s something here for everyone. Take a risk at being the best at something,” Mompremier said.

Tom Rowan can be reached at thomas.rowan@temple.edu.