CST dean steps down from post

The dean of Temple University’s College of Science and Technology has stepped down to pursue research in the School of Medicine. Dr. Chris D. Platsoucas, Dean of CST since its break from the College of

The dean of Temple University’s College of Science and Technology has stepped down to pursue research in the School of Medicine.

Dr. Chris D. Platsoucas, Dean of CST since its break from the College of Liberal Arts in 1998, announced his resignation Nov. 4. He was named acting dean at the time and was made permanent dean in 2000. He has also served as Chairperson of the Department of Microbiology and Immunology and as the L.H. Carnell Professor of Microbiology and Immunology.

“I believe that it is now time to devote my full efforts to my research program and to my duties as L.H. Carnell Professor and Chair of Microbiology and Immunology,” Platsoucas said in a written statement to the faculty.

The University plans to name an interim dean soon, followed by the appointment of a permanent dean in the near future.

Platsoucas will step down from his position Jan. 14, 2004. According to his original appointment, Platsoucas was to serve as dean until June 2002, but stayed on for an additional 18 months.

Platsoucas said he enjoyed the challenge of being the founding dean of the college. He was “very pleased” with the work they accomplished.

Platsoucas has been instrumental in attracting many new faculty members of international prominence to Temple. This helped increase the amount of peer-reviewed grant support for the college from $2.5 million in 1998 to over $20 million today.

Dr. Richard C. Weisenberg is a professor in the Biology department at Temple. He noted the accomplishments of Platsoucas.

“He went out and recruited some top-notch researchers with international reputations and in the long-term that enhances Temple’s international reputation,” Weisenberg said. “If you can raise the reputation of the college, you can attract better students to the school.”

CST has also been able to introduce Centers for Advanced Research and Education in numerous specific fields within the college. These additions made possible such a large increase in external funding.

The college has provided an opportunity for research and education to thrive at Temple. Many of the newly-recruited faculty members have received more research funding since coming to Temple. Some faculty members who had not been receiving funding are now able to
.
External funding is not the only area of CST that has enjoyed extreme growth during Platsoucas’ time as dean. CST has enjoyed an 86 percent increase in its number of majors, as compared to a 30 percent increase in the rest of the university.

“We have succeeded in changing the ‘culture’ of the college,” Platsoucas wrote in his statement. “Emphasis is now placed on research and research support in addition to educating undergraduate and graduate students.”

Dr. Ralph Jenkins, the Senior Associate Dean of CST, said he realized the importance of Platsoucas’ association with the college.

“Dr. Platsoucas has gained international notoriety for his research efforts,” Jenkins said. “It was great for us to have his name associated with the college.”

Platsoucas received his doctoral degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1978 after earning his bachelor’s degree from the University of Patras in Greece.

Jason Boll can be reached at jase23@temple.edu.