Cultural issues wait for spotlight

In mid-November, President David Adamany announced that he would be creating an Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMCA) to enhance Temple’s already diverse community. Since then, however, not much progress has been made. Adamany expects to

In mid-November, President David Adamany announced that he would be creating an Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMCA) to enhance Temple’s already diverse community. Since then, however, not much progress has been made.

Adamany expects to have the office fully staffed by this spring. This will lead to the hiring of a new associate vice president for multicultural affairs that will report directly to Adamany. To date, no one has been found for the position.

The OMCA will include four elements, which will all be headed by a director. There will be a recruitment and retention unit that will be in charge of attracting and retaining minorities at all levels; a student support unit that will work to enhance the education, development, and quality of life of minority students; a business relations unit, which will increase and improve partnerships with minority-owned businesses; and a compliance and investigation unit which will increase the responsibilities that are already held by the current Office of Affirmative Action.

“The actual intent of the office is still unknown,” said junior Daniela Mendoza, co-chair of Temple Student Government’s Multicultural Affairs Committee.

“Temple’s historic diversity is one of its greatest strengths,” Adamany told Temple Times. “We believe that a diverse student body, faculty and staff enrich the Temple educational experience.

“The Office of Multicultural Affairs is a reflection of our commitment to ensure that Temple continues to serve as a beacon for talented and motivated people of all races, nationalities and backgrounds.”

Temple is recognized nationally for its diversity. It ranks third for having the most socially and ethnically diverse student body in the nation according to The Princeton Review.

The student support services unit will be setting up a mentor program. This program will pair minority students with other minority students for support and guidance. TSG hopes to have input in this unit, but so far no one from the administration has reached out a helping hand, said Mendoza.

Adamany spoke to the TSG General Assembly about the future OMCA, but has yet to respond to a letter that was sent to him by TSG requesting a meeting about the future office.

“This office wouldn’t have even been conceived without TSG,” said senior Patrice Williams, Mendoza’s co-chair who feels that the office should have been in place long ago.

“One goal that I want them to focus on is interaction. I want to have an exchange of cultures,” said Mendoza. She feels this should be the responsibility of all four units so they can apply pressure to one another.

Hannah Davis can be reached at hdavis@temple.edu.