Dannon as Smooth as Yogurt For The Owls

Dannon Mehaffey’s style of play is similar to the texture of yogurt – smooth. Mehaffey was named the Atlantic-10 field hockey player of the week after playing extremely well during the Temple Invitational Tournament earlier

Dannon Mehaffey’s style of play is similar to the texture of yogurt – smooth.

Mehaffey was named the Atlantic-10 field hockey player of the week after playing extremely well during the Temple Invitational Tournament earlier this season.

Standing at 5 feet 4 inches, Mehaffey was named to the first team Tri-County Conference, All-South Jersey and the All-State team while attending Cumberland Regional High School in Seabrook, NJ.

Her field hockey squad in high school also won the 2000 state championship and Mehaffey was also part of the 2001 NJ state softball championship team.

“College field hockey is much different from high school, because here everyone is good, and there are no standout superstars,” Mehaffey said.

Mehaffey is currently attempting to bring her success from high school to the Temple Owls field hockey squad.

Other big-time schools such as Boston University, Richmond, Yale and Dartmouth recruited Mehaffey.

“It’s kind of weird, I feel like I’m starting over, like I’m this little freshman again, but I’m really glad that I chose Temple,” she said.

“I love the girls here, they are great and the team is like a big family.”

Temple is also glad Mehaffey chose the Owls as her squad, because if Mehaffey had chosen Richmond she would be playing head-to-head against the Owls.

Instead she’s residing in White Hall with her freshman teammate Rachel Barber, who often played against Mehaffey while attending Millville High School.

“I really like living here. My roommate is awesome, and we get along really well,” Mehaffey said.

As far as Mehaffey is concerned, she definitely wants to bring her enthusiasm to the field when the Owls begin their Atlantic 10 Conference schedule.

Mehaffey has high expectations for both herself and the team following the non-conference schedule.

The Owls are currently 3-6, and are on a two-game winning streak.

During the Temple Invitational Tournament, Mehaffey recorded four offensive corners and two interceptions, and was named the A-10 rookie of the week.

“I always try to work hard and have fun at the same time,” she said.

“I want to help the team be the best we can be.”

When asked what her goal as a player is, she said, “It doesn’t really matter what I do as long as the team does well, but I guess my own personal goal would be to just become a better all-around player.”

After Mehaffey attempts to achieve her goals, she plans to always stick around sports.

Mehaffey has a major in exercise and sports science, and wants to become a physical therapist when she gets older.

The reason for this is because she loves sports, and wants to be around athletes even when she’s done playing.

“I could never really see myself not being around sports,” she said.

“So I decided the easiest way to always be around athletics was to become a physical therapist.”

Until she gets her degree, Mehaffey will concentrate on her studies, and also close in on helping Temple win the A-10 championship.

Considering Mehaffey’s history of winning and her initial explosion of being named A-10 Rookie of the Week, she will likely be able to lead the Owls to a fantastic season.

David Gunning can be reached at DGUNN11@aol.com.