Dean resigns after 15 years

James Fitzsimmons, Dean of Students , will resign from his position and end his 15-year tenure serving Temple University and its student body March 12. Fitzsimmons will leave Temple to serve as president of the

James Fitzsimmons, Dean of Students , will resign from his position and end his 15-year tenure serving Temple University and its student body March 12.

Fitzsimmons will leave Temple to serve as president of the Malvern Retreat House in Malvern, Pa.

“I will miss the many good friendships with staff, faculty, students and alumni and the daily interactions with students that come through,” he said.

Fitzsimmons informed the Vice President of Student Affairs Dr. Theresa Powell of his resignation last Thursday and made his announcement to TSG’s weekly general assembly meeting Monday.

Vice President of Student Affairs for TSG Dekwuan Postell is among many who worked closely with the dean on student affairs, particularly with the division in student government.

“I think it’s an unfortunate thing that he’s resigning,” Postell said. “He’s been very helpful to the student government, not only the business that TSG conducts, but as well as personally. I don’t know why he’s resigning, but it is a major loss for the university.”

Powell described Fitzsimmons as a man of great integrity and an extra hard worker. Fitzsimmons helped make Temple’s transition from a commuter university to a residential community a smooth one.

“He is irreplaceable – no one will replace him – but we will find someone to fill his position,” Powell said.

As of now, there is no word on who will fill the Dean of Student Affairs position.

Fitzsimmons’ colleagues as well as students stressed his important role as an advocate for Temple’s students.

“The students are really losing an advocate,” Powell said. “We will never forget his service to students.”

Temple senior Aja Settles remembers working with Fitzsimmons during her four years at Temple, especially on community service events such as Habitat for Humanity, and his dedication to students’ academic and personal development.

“He always gives me sound advice, and I am going to miss his dedication and insight to student services,” Settles said. “It’s going to be difficult to fill his position.”

Rita Calicat, Director of Student Activies, shared a similar sentiment.

“He is very committed to students at the university and has been a mentor for me for a number of years,” Calicat said. “I am always impressed by his work ethic and dedication.”

A reception will be held to honor Fitzsimmons on March 2 at 3:30 p.m. in the Owl Cove of Mitten Hall.

Charmie Snetter can be reached at snett77@temple.edu.