Developers recruited to build housing

Temple’s long-term strategy to alleviate the housing problem includes three options, one that involves bringing private developers to the area. That has already begun with the Kardon Building. Temple is selling itself as a tenant

Temple’s long-term strategy to alleviate the housing problem includes three options, one that involves bringing private developers to the area. That has already begun with the Kardon Building.

Temple is selling itself as a tenant provider to increase development. It is asking private developers to bring “university-suited housing” to the area.

The other two options include renovations to existing buildings as well as building on vacant land on campus.

These plans do not include increasing student housing at sites such at Main Campus and Franklin House. Housing Director Jack Niven wants to better the “quality of housing on or near campus” to give students a feeling of community. He said the University is “committed to expanding the housing program” to accomplish this.

Niven said this is already starting to happen and cited the increase in demand for housing among upperclassmen.

Temple Towers will be the next major undertaking, Niven said. An architectural and engineering study was recently completed on the building. Plans have not been finalized, but they include either demolishing the building or major renovations.

Over the course of the next year, the University will also begin to look at using the vacant spaces it owns.

Brian Swope can be reached at bswope@att.net