Director Mark Christopher delivers touching comedy

Nowadays, movies all seem to be the same. Wonderful stories are things of the past and as audience members, we now find ourselves viewing movies that star Vin Diesel changing diapers. But with writer/director Mark

Nowadays, movies all seem to be the same. Wonderful stories are things of the past and as audience members, we now find ourselves viewing movies that star Vin Diesel changing diapers. But with writer/director Mark Christopher’s quirky comedy Pizza, he proves that not all filmmakers are selling out.

Starring Kylie Sparks and Ethan Embry, Pizza’s unique storyline is sure to tickle your funny bone. Sparks puts on a brilliant performance playing overweight, nerdy, Cara Ethel. Embry, known for other notable films such as That Thing You Do! and Empire Records, puts on a stellar performance as socially conscious Matt.

This unique story opens at Cara’s 18th birthday party, where one key element happens to be missing – guests. Instead Cara finds herself with a chocolate cake, an annoying little brother, an invisible friend Emily and her mother who is temporarily blind because of a doughnut frying accident. It all seems like a nightmare until the doorbell rings.

There is nothing like opening the door only to find a piping-hot pizza waiting behind it. It’s an even sweeter deal is if the delivery boy is hot as well. This introduces Ethan Embry’s character, Matt. He finds himself at a crossroads with life as a 28-year old pizza delivery boy and finds comfort in Cara. This was like her dream come true. He is truly her knight in shining armor, a hot boy delivering her food.

Cara decides to accompany Matt on his pizza delivery runs where the two quickly hit it off, despite their many differences. Even though the two characters have rather contrasting personalities, they seem to complement one another due to the superb acting and writing.

Throughout the evening Matt opens Cara’s eyes to a world that she normally did not belong; dancing in clubs, drinking beer, late night diners and even a make-out party. The way the film was shot was nothing out of the ordinary, but the wonderful close-ups allow the viewer feel as if they part of the action. This is especially appreciated in scenes where Cara and Matt are traveling in the delivery truck. Many of the shots also seemed to have been done with a handheld camera, which gives the film a realistic feel.

The movie was an excellent portrayal of two unusual people at obviously different moments in their life. Sparks’ character is sure to strike a chord with anyone who has ever felt left out and just wants a sense of belonging. Although little is solved for each character, it is hard not to feel that the characters were changed. Matt opens Cara’s eyes to another world that she never entered, and makes for a memorable birthday. This, in turn, allows the viewer to leave happy.

Rosalie Yurasits can be reached at rosaliey@temple.edu.