Diversity addressed again at TSG

Diversity issues at Temple University were again discussed at this week’s Temple Student Government meeting. Last semester, it was revealed that minority enrollment rates at the University have been falling. Several members of TSG have

Diversity issues at Temple University were again discussed at this week’s Temple Student Government meeting.

Last semester, it was revealed that minority enrollment rates at the University have been falling.

Several members of TSG have been investigating the reasons.

TSG President T.J. Baker promised to continue work on the issue and encouraged students to appreciate the university’s diversity.

“It’s not only a white and black issue,” Baker said.

“It’s everyone, Asians, Cambodians, Vietnamese, Indian… That’s why Temple University is so rich. Let’s keep that in mind.”

He also said that TSG has been working with Student Activities Office to lower the cost for student organizations reserve rooms and spaces on campus for activities.

Dean of Students James Fitzsimmons expressed sorrow over the death of Kishan Sheth, a student who committed suicide by leaping from Anderson Hall last week.

“It’s very sad. We don’t have any reasons at this point,” Fitzsimmons said.

“Keep his family in thoughts and prayers.”

Lt. Eileen Bradley from campus safety spoke about the OWLOOP shuttle service.

She encouraged students to keep informing her about any problems with the service.

Bradley can be reached at 215-204-6049.

The application deadline for filing forms expressing intent to run in the TSG election of main campus representatives was postponed to March 31 due to a lack of applications, said TSG Election Commissioner Denica Beaton.

A representative from Career Development Services announced a part-time job fair to take place on April 9.

It will be held in the Mitten Hall Great Court from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The list of participating employers will be available Career Development Services’ website at www.temple.edu/careerdev a week before the fair, she said.

TSG Secretary of General Assembly Shawna Harrell announced a seminar on female issues in middle and high schools in the neighborhood.

The seminar will be held on March 29 from noon to 2 p.m. in the Student Center.

Baker announced that an open student forum would be held on April 8 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in Tuttleman Learning Center, room 103.

He also said that students could pick up a packet of information on undergraduate scholarships in Vivacqua Hall 202D.

Saeko Komura can be reached at saekokomura@yahoo.co.jp.