Don’t sweat the technique

You have made it through college in four years (give or take), you have done the internship, and have your foot in the door. The only thing standing between you and the job of your

You have made it through college in four years (give or take), you have done the internship, and have your foot in the door. The only thing standing between you and the job of your dreams is the interview.

Proper interview etiquette is important. Preparation is crucial for conducting a successful interview. First in the line of preparation is deciding what to wear.

“Overdress if you have to,” said Bill Wedo, adjunct instructor and Philly.com producer. “No one says ‘we don’t like this guy because he’s wearing a tie and a jacket.’ Dress conservatively.”

Nextsteps.org provides a list of interview dressing tips for both men and women. The site stresses the importance of having a clean appearance. The site states, “Clothes say a lot about who you are and how well you will fit into the company.”

In addition to dressing appropriately, interviewees must properly answer questions.

“Don’t just answer questions,” Wedo advised, “Have a conversation.” Wedo added that eye contact benefits the conversation.

Nextsteps.org and Wedo emphasize that knowledge of the company is the key to good conversation in an interview. Wedo went a step further and suggested that an interviewee should make themselves an expert on the company.

Be sure to take advantage of all possible resources. Look at the company’s Web site and understand its goals and policies.

Nextsteps.org advises that students should not go to an interview empty handed. According to the site, at the very least an interviewee should take a pen and paper to take notes.

According to Nextsteps.org, the three major things to remember when being interviewed are getting off on the right foot, relaxing during the questioning, and ending on a positive note.

Preparation for interview questions will make the process move smoothly. There are hundreds of Web sites dedicated to preparing for tough interview questions.

For more information on interview etiquette, check out these Web sites:

• www.campuscareercenter.com
  • www.cina.org/InterviewTip1.htm
  • www.studyfinance.com
  • Be the first to comment