Dress to impress:

Forget about the phrase it does not matter how you look; it is what’s inside that counts. Appearance is a key factor in nailing an interview and helping you get your dream job. Below is

Forget about the phrase it does not matter how you look; it is what’s inside that counts. Appearance is a key factor in nailing an interview and helping you get your dream job. Below is a small list that may help you think twice when reaching into your closet to get dressed for interviews.

Fellas:
Sorry, guys, but the baggy jeans, white T-shirt and Timberland boot look just will not work in interviewing situations.

DON’T:

• Think that a Polo shirt with a collar and a pair of khakis is deemed “professional” just because you do not wear them everyday.
  • Forget to iron and think that the wrinkles will just “fall out.”
  • Try to accent your Sunday suit with white gym socks.
  • Overdo the cologne or after-shave.

DO:

• Break down and get a suit if you do not already have one. Dark colors like black, blue and gray are usually best.
  • Make sure both the suit and the shirt are nicely hemmed, ironed and complimented with a matching tie (no cartoon characters or wild colors).
  • Wear a long sleeved, button down shirt with a collar. Aim for a neutral solid color.
  • Wear dress socks and well-polished dress shoes.

Ladies:
    All right ladies, this is not the right time to put the “sex sells” cliché into play. Interviews are the time to be very professional and conservative with your looks.

DON’T:

• Dress like you are going to the club. Halter-tops and tight jeans with glitter are not gonna get it.
  • Think that body glitter and lip-gloss will make you look “radiant.” That is just tacky.
  • Wear bright, eye-straining colors just because “that outfit matches your nails.”
  • Wear pants, if you can help it (depending on the professional level of the job).

DO:

• Wear a business suit, a two-piece dress, skirt and blazer or a dress and jacket.
  • Wear minimal make-up to a job interview. Avoid bright colors and excessive amounts. Try using light shades of lip coloring and nail polish, too.
  • Wear basic medium or dark colors like blue, gray or black.
  • Carry a small matching purse, if needed. This can also be used to carry important documents, a pen and paper.

Above all, just relax. After all, you will never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Check out these helpful Web sites for more dressing tips:

• www.dressforsuccess.com
  • www.pserie.psu.edu/career/dress.htm
  • www.kiwicare.com/dress.htm
  • www.ozline.net/pinport/intrview.htm
  • Be the first to comment