Duo provides offense against Sacred Heart

Hunt and Foran score for Temple in win.

COURTESY ALEXANDRA MCDERMOTT

Senior Lauren Hunt and freshman Katie Foran provided the offense in Temple’s 3-0 win over the Sacred Heart Pioneers on Sunday at Geasey Field.

Foran began the scoring, sending a penalty corner into the net seven minutes into the game. Just one minute later, redshirt sophomore Rachel Steinman executed a great sideline pass to Foran, who sent it across to the right side of the goal, where Hunt scored with the Pioneers’ goalie out of position. In the second half, after just a minute and a half of play, Hunt struck again. She took a rebound, drove into the net from the right side, and then made a last-second shot, diving in towards the net.

Hunt herself was surprised by the shot, and was unable to describe how she was able to place it so precisely from a bad angle.

COURTESY ALEXANDRA MCDERMOTT
COURTESY ALEXANDRA MCDERMOTT

“I don’t really know,” Hunt said. “I couldn’t tell you. I just kind of slid into it.”

Hunt gave credit to the defense for giving her and the rest of the offense so many chances—the Owls had 25 shots and 12 penalty corners.

“The defense did a great job in the back to give us a lot of opportunities,” Hunt said. “We had a ton of shots—the scoreboard didn’t entirely reflect that, I think. We need to finish them for next time. But we definitely had a lot more opportunities in this game than we’ve had in the past.”

Coach Amanda Janney was pleased with Hunt’s performance.

“She’s such a team player, but she’s worked really hard to become such an excellent forward for us, and we’re glad to see it pay off in goals,” Janney said. “I think that the pair of goals that she got was a huge one for us. We kind of created some good shot options for us, but we need to get more goals on the board, and Lauren found a way to make it happen in the second half.”

This was the second straight game for the Owls in which Hunt and Foran led the offense. Both scored in Temple’s 2-1 win over Rutgers on Friday.

Temple now has a five game winning streak. The Owls will travel to Kentucky for their next game, which will be against Big East opponent Louisville on Friday, October 4.

Don McDermott can be reached at donald.mcdermott@temple.edu.