DUST FOR LIFE SPREAD VAST MESSAGE IN SMALL VENUE

Hed: Dust for Life spread vast message in small venue By Chris Powell Temple News Staff Writer Threatening snow didn’t stop Dust for Life from taking the stage Saturday January 20 at the Upstage; however,

Hed: Dust for Life spread vast message in small venue
By Chris Powell
Temple News Staff Writer

Threatening snow didn’t stop Dust for Life from taking the stage Saturday January 20 at the Upstage; however, the lingering weather seemed to keep music fans from packing the small concert setting.

Having spread their sound last year on successful tours with Creed and 3 Doors Down, Dust for Life were ready to bring their well-crafted songs to the ears of Upstage listeners.

Philadelphia hometown boys Tidewater Grain opened the show with tracks from their debut album, Here on the Outside. With established Philly rockers Liquid Gang and Ruff Nation Records President in the house, the quintet made every effort to make their homecoming a memorable one.

The vocals of Kevin McNamara shined through on “American Star” and “One Man Show,” while the complete post-grunge hard rock sound of the five men came together on “Rocket Ship” and “Not Rich.” After seeing Tidewater Grain live it’s clear that if they can par their fondness for alcoholic beverages they’re bound to reach new heights.

Since introducing their brand of driven, melodic hard rock in 1998, Dust for Life has undergone some turbulent changes including the replacement of four of the original band members. The band quickly recovered and released their self-titled debut album last year on Wind-Up Records. As a reward to those who braved the conditions, the Memphis foursome played their record in its entirety.

“Dirt into Dust” opened the set. A song about overcoming any bad situation, “Dirt into Dust,” speaks to listeners in times of pain and depression. Towards the middle of the set vocalist/guitarist Chris Gavin, gave a brilliant solo acoustic performance of “The End.”

Notwithstanding the conditions and moderate turn out, Dust for Life demonstrated that unlike other artists in today’s hard music scene, they have musical talents far beyond performing songs about hardships and failed relationships. Their music is about acceptance and making an impact, but more importantly their music appears to be reaching and helping people.