DVD Man brings you the newest releases

Training Day R, 2001, Starring Academy Award Winner for Best Actor, Denzel Washington, and Academy Award nominee for Best Supporting Actor, Ethan Hawke. This rough, tough, crooked-cop thriller has a lot to offer in the

Training Day
R, 2001, Starring Academy Award Winner for Best Actor, Denzel Washington, and Academy Award nominee for Best Supporting Actor, Ethan Hawke.
This rough, tough, crooked-cop thriller has a lot to offer in the area of DVD quality and features. Generally, the audio and visual elements are very crisp and show little flaws at all. It has the standard menus and sub-menus with very little animation or other extras.

Some of the more interesting features on the DVD are the audio commentary by director Antoine Fuqua, the HBO “Making of Training Day,” the theatrical trailer, an excellent alternate ending and two music videos featuring Nelly and Pharaohe Monch. However, the best feature is the deleted scenes. They mainly consist of dialogue between Washington and Hawke, it shows the two actors at their best and parts of the story actually become a little clearer after viewing them.

Zoolander: Special Edition
PG-13, 2001, Starring Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Will Ferrell, and Christine Taylor.
If you are a fan of Ben Stiller as a comedian or director, than you will definitely enjoy this over-the-top look at the male modeling world. The DVD generally has excellent audio and visual qualities, with some minor glitches that are few and far between. The menus include animations and elaborate backgrounds which are quite amusing.

In the special features area, this release has a lot to offer. There is an audio commentary with Stiller and co-writers Drake Sather and John Hamburg, five deleted and five extended scenes, outtakes, VH1 skits, a music video by Wiseguys, an alternate end-title sequence, photo galleries and some hilarious Zoolander “public service announcements.” All Stiller fans out there are going to want to add this to your collection, but I would recommend renting this to anyone who wants to have a laugh and enjoy a cool DVD.

Kerrick Jones can be reached at WuRZA33@aol.com