Editorial: Bar guide rescue

Put down the 40. You heard me. This is an intervention. Step away from the High-Grav. Give up your place in the keg-stand line. It doesn’t have to be like this. With hundreds of bars

Put down the 40. You heard me. This is an intervention. Step away from the High-Grav. Give up your place in the keg-stand line. It doesn’t have to be like this.

With hundreds of bars in Philadelphia, there’s no reason students possessing IDs – one’s that weren’t ordered online  – should be spending each weekend with the same group of people, gripping cheap beer in crowded North Philly apartments.

This city has a diverse bar culture – one that will even allow you to stick to your 40-ounce budget if you do your research. There is an abundance of bars with happy hour specials and unique specialities worth exploring.

Each Spring, The Temple News highlights Philly’s bar scene with its Bar Guide insert – four extra pages that you’ll find in this week’s issue to help you on your bar-hopping quests.

Bar Guide 2013 is comprised of profiles of establishments that transport patrons back in time, whether that be channeling a fourth grade birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese’s or a speakeasy during the Prohibition era. Your quarter hoarding for laundry machines may be at risk after reading about some bars that cater to an arcade atmosphere, and your flapper theme-party costume might come in handy when exploring the underground speakeasy scene.

On P. B3, you’ll find Q&As with bartenders and a column from a student bartender, all of who give their best stories from behind the bar.

At temple-news.com, we provide our print guide on the go, so you’ll never be without some well-tasted guidance.

The Temple News does not promote underage drinking, but it encourages students 21 and over who enjoy a nice brew to try a new bar, talk to a new group of people, experience a new scene and maybe even set a new high arcade-game score.