Editorial: Get up and give a damn

Duck! It’s a mudslinging kind of year, with elections getting dirty in the race for governor. On the most local level Temple Student Government is holding elections for next year’s presidency and two vice presidency

Duck!

It’s a mudslinging kind of year, with elections getting dirty in the race for governor.

On the most local level Temple Student Government is holding elections for next year’s presidency and two vice presidency positions. But from previous election results it is probably a true statement that most students don’t care.

Apathy reigns at Temple, a very unfortunate fact.

This is not a good scenario, but for the majority of students on campus, that is the case. How many of the students, who can name a candidate, will actually vote is another story.

Last year’s election figures were dismal at best. With 30,000 students, Temple’s area campuses could only turn out a depressing 1,725 votes.

Dean of Students James Fitzsimmons said this number is “about average.” It’s also about 5.75 percent of the entire student population.

Why do students feel it is unnecessary to take part in the elections? Surely a large part has to do with Temple’s commuter population.

Perhaps students view the student government as ineffectual. That may be the case, we’ll leave that for you to ultimately decide, but that’s a lame excuse in the end, anyway.

If you have had problems with TSG in the past, each year presents the opportunity to bring in new blood and change. These two days in April are your chance to make your contribution to the University.

TSG serves as the link between 30,000 students and administration.

TSG is responsible for the return of Homecoming in the fall. Just a few years ago, that event didn’t exist. The organization is responsible for a lot that goes on that week, as well as Spring Fling. If you didn’t like Spring Fling this year, then why not take part in the voting process and get your voice heard.

The TSG president accompanies the school president each year to Harrisburg to fight for an increase in state funding. They fight for changes on campus, ranging from safety to mere convenience.

Shuttle bus service problems have been brought to the attention of administration and improved because of TSG. Housing problems and other commuter concerns have all been addressed by TSG. You can take on the problem on your own, but you don’t have the backing of a General Assembly and an Executive Board. It’s there, why not use it.

The vice president for Academic Affairs is in charge of voicing educational concerns of students to the administration. That position affects students every day in the classroom.

The organization has a budget of over $200,000. Why would students not want to take part; you can make part of that money work for you or your cause.

Regardless of your race, color, creed or sexuality, TSG affects you. The recent Culture Fest was funded largely by TSG. Latin Heritage and Black History months’ events received money from TSG. It’s the same story with Gay Pride month, Bisexuality Week and Jesus Week.

If you don’t start now, if you don’t get involved now then you are more than likely to not get involved later. Your vote is strongest now, in college, with your vote only against or with 30,000. In the future, it’s your vote against or with millions.

When students don’t vote in an organization like TSG, students don’t make the University work for them. When citizens don’t vote, they don’t make their country work for them. Does anyone remember the fiasco that was Election 2000?