Editorial: Welcome back

Those who choose to attend Temple University should know they aren’t in for the “typical” college experience.

Those who choose to attend Temple University should know they aren’t in for the “typical” college experience. Attending college in the middle of an urban landscape is undoubtedly an alternative to life in a “college town,”  and with an alternative environment comes an alternative learning experience.

Students at Temple need to know more than just the material studied in their courses. Mastering the subway system and Philadelphia’s neighborhoods is just as important as registered courses. Becoming streetwise is essential as well. While red Temple “T” flags hang in only certain areas, the entire city of Philadelphia is campus to a Temple student.

With no disrespect to professors, The Temple News argues that the most valuable learning takes place outside of the classroom. This learning can happen on Main Campus at one of the university’s approximately 300 registered student organizations, or off-campus through an internship or study abroad program. Temple seems to be no stranger to the concept of outside-the-classroom learning, as the Philadelphia Experience program marries this outside knowledge with General Education courses by encouraging students to get out into the city to supplement classroom learning.

The Temple News urges the freshman class and transfer students to get involved early in their careers at Temple. Students should apply themselves in the classroom, but know that the time spend in lecture halls is just a fraction of the Temple learning experience.