Effie’s a taste of Greece

If you’ve never tried Greek food, Effie’s is the place to start. Effie’s Greek Restaurant, located at 1127 Pine Street, will transport you to the Greek countryside with the flavors and aromas of its cuisine.

If you’ve never tried Greek food, Effie’s is the place to start.

Effie’s Greek Restaurant, located at 1127 Pine Street, will transport you to the Greek countryside with the flavors and aromas of its cuisine. Nothing but the freshest ingredients are used in the dishes served at Effie’s, and that truly makes a difference.

The flavors of lemon and fresh herbs can be tasted throughout the menu. From traditional Greek fare to more modern adaptations, Effie’s delivers on its promise of delicious entrees at an affordable price.

The moment you enter you will feel as though you have just stepped into the cozy living room of a Greek family.

Effie’s has a cozy dining area that can accommodate about 20 people. But hidden away, just up the stairs is another dining room that offers a more intimate setting. It is ideal for a romantic date or a private party.

In the spring, summer and early fall, Effie’s opens their outdoor patio that is reminiscent of a Greek villa. They also have a carriage room for the ultimate in intimate dinning.

Looking through the menu, you may have some tough choices to make. Will it be the pasticcio, the red snapper, the octopus or maybe some lamb? No matter which one you pick you can’t go wrong.

Why not start out with a traditional Greek salad piled high with peppers, kalamata olives, cucumber and the freshest feta you’ve ever tasted.

Want to skip the salad and jump right into the real stuff? How about some spanikopita? This one will leave you begging for more. It consists of layers of buttery, flakey phillo dough filled with a spinach, feta and egg mixture, all baked to golden perfection.

Get it as an appetizer and share it with a loved one so you can save room for all the other delicious treats.

While you’re waiting for the food to arrive, order a side of tzatziki sauce to dip your warm pita bread in. This cucumber, garlic, yogurt sauce is refreshing and delicious.

But save some room because here comes your entrée. Pasticcio is similar to lasagna, but with a Greek spin. It has layers of pasta and meat with a tomato-based sauce, but Effie’s tops it all off with crumbly feta that gives it a tart bite and compliments the sour tomato.

The red snapper at Effie’s comes whole, which drives the point of freshness home. Garnished with little more than lemon, the true flavor of the fish shines through as it would in a Greek tavern.

For a hearty meal try the lamb-it’s tender and juicy and goes well with a side of roasted potatoes and stewed string beans.

But don’t stuff yourself quite yet, you have to save some room for dessert. You haven’t truly eaten Greek unless you have downed some rich Greek coffee and honey soaked baklava.

They also have kataifi, a pastry made with shredded phillo dough, walnuts and honey, similar to baklava. But if you’re looking for something different try their galaktobouriko, creamy custard wrapped in crusty phillo, or some homemade rice pudding.

If you bring friends make them order one of each so you can try them all.

Effie’s cannot accommodate large groups so be selective about who you invite. The service is usually very good, with a charming wait staff delivering both food and personality.

There’s no liquor license so BYOB, a nice Chianti perhaps. Once your bill comes, break out the greenbacks. Sorry, no credit cards here. But have no fear, prices are reasonable and you’ll definitely get your money’s worth.

Once you’ve tried Effie’s you’ll be coming back for more. With good food, a great atmosphere and quality service, it just might become your favorite Philly spot.

Milli Protheroe can be reached at bobhope@temple.edu