“Emerald City” lights up Mitten Hall

For many students, the high school prom was the most memorable event of their lives. It was fun, exciting and nothing spoiled the evening. But for others, it was quite different. For many, their arranged

For many students, the high school prom was the most memorable event of their lives. It was fun, exciting and nothing spoiled the evening. But for others, it was quite different. For many, their arranged plans did not turn out so perfect.

You wait so long for that one night just to have all your dreams of limousines and flowing gowns come tumbling down for one reason or another. Did you ever wish you could relive your prom night?

Last Saturday Temple students had the opportunity to erase that unforgettable high school night on Main Campus.

Déjà Vu the student-run organization that put together the Second Annual College Prom, organized hair and fashion shows in the fall 1999 semester and the first college prom last spring. Déjà Vu members also make contributions in community service and volunteer work in the city.

Déjà Vu’s CEO and founder Charles (Dekwaun) Postell and president Aliya Z. Khabir wanted to make this event a night to remember for Temple students. They titled the event “Emerald City” and what a city it was.

Mitten Hall was transformed into Emerald City for those whose prom did not go right the first time and for those who missed their prom or did not enjoy it. Déjà vu wanted to make the college prom as much like a high school prom as possible. Free limousine rides from the dorms to Mitten Hall was just one of the evening’s features.

When the limousine driver let passengers off in front on the Broad Street entrance, escorts were waiting to lead the women out of the rain. No one was sure whether they were hired, volunteers or just neighborhood samaritans lending a helping hand.

Nevertheless, everyone was escorted safely. Once people presented their invitations, they were seated in the spacious hall. The room’s green and pearl colored theme illuminated Emerald City. Green and white balloons were strewn everywhere. A three-foot ice sculpture of Emerald City stood in front and the center of the stage.

Colorful lights reflected throughout the room. A DJ stationed beside the tables, played an array of slow songs and R&B favorites from the past and present. Toward the end of the night, his tone changed and he played hip-hop, reggae, club music and go-go, setting the mood for a fun-filled night.

Dinner consisted of a delicious, gourmet buffet of steamed vegetables, pasta, potato salad, mashed potatoes, baked chicken and more. Dessert was an assortment of fine cookies and a large cake with “Emerald City” written on it.

Déjà Vu hired a professional photographer to capture the prom night; people could select to take individual, couple or group photos.

Déjà Vu president Khabir announced prom King and Queen — decided by a random drawing. Temple student Vanessa Dash won prom Queen. Samuel Sololf, another student, was crowned prom King. Dash and Sololf smiled for pictures and proceeded to the traditional dance for the couple alone. Then guests crowded the dance floor and danced until the last song played.

Unfortunately, many students were turned off by the rain. A few guests said they simply like to dress up and go out, for it is very rare that a college student finds the time to attend a formal event such as this. Unlike last year’s prom, people were dressed in very formal wear. Women wore long, sparkling and shimmering gowns. An assortment of colors and accents made each dress unique. Men wore suits and tuxedos.

Although gloomy weather hindered the spirits of some, those who attended the College Prom made the best of it — and made memories to last. As one guest said: “The prom is very sentimental to me. I missed mine in high school because the limo driver came late, so I’m glad Déjà Vu thought of having one.”