Everything you ever wanted to learn

College students who take classes only for credit often feel limited in the variety of classes they can take. But getting a degree shouldn’t be at the expense of a well-rounded education. In order to

College students who take classes only for credit often feel limited in the variety of classes they can take. But getting a degree shouldn’t be at the expense of a well-rounded education. In order to provide students with the best of both worlds, Temple University offers non-credit courses in everything from belly dancing to wine tasting.

Temple University Center City (TUCC), Ambler and Fort Washington all offer non-credit courses with open registration.

At the Center City campus, the Institute for Continuing Studies (ICS) offers six to seven-week courses in any field of interest. Classes range from literature and business to Latin dancing and cooking. Some classes are limited to only 10-15 students while other classes, such as the dance courses, can accommodate nearly 40 people.

The complete listing of classes with descriptions, fees and other information is available at their Web site at https://www.temple.edu/tucc. Registration can be completed online.

In a continued effort to promote continuing education, TUCC offers a Frequent Learning Program, allowing frequent course-takers to gain credit toward free classes.

At Ambler and Fort Washington, a variety of food and entertainment courses are spotlighted. Classes include “World’s Greatest Wine Values,” a discovery of the regions and wines that deliver the most bang for the buck; “Cooking Veggie Style at Horizon’s Caf,” an introduction to the creativity and benefits of vegetarian cooking; and “Wok ‘n’ Walk Tour of Chinatown,” a tour of the vibrant community. These courses teach students the fundamentals of practical knowledge.

For students looking for a more specific experience, the city offers additional classes for a relatively nominal fee. All ages are welcome to sign up for the Arden Theater’s courses, designed to introduce outsiders to the theater world. From acting, auditioning, reading a play and acting through songs, these courses offer the real-life experience while providing a fun time.

One class, “Rehearsal Process,” might be of particular interest to students of the School of Communication and Theater. Through a partnership between the Arden Theater and Temple University, the course teaches the intricate dance process between the technical and artistic, subjective and objective, lofty and concrete, all while diagramming the steps needed to put on in a production.

From sketching to freestyle acting, many city theaters and galleries offer classes for developing artists. Managing time between classes and work is always a juggling act, but dedicating spare time to developing outside interests is a worthwhile investment.

Eric Cortes can be reached at mvscap@temple.edu.