Faculty and students take to nearby polls to cast votes

Slowly but surely, Temple students and faculty made their way to near campus polls. Today, Nov. 8, is the day when citizens can voice their political opinions by exercising one of their most basic rights—the

Slowly but surely, Temple students and faculty made their way to near campus polls.

Today, Nov. 8, is the day when citizens can voice their political opinions by exercising one of their most basic rights—the right to vote in the city’s municipal elections.

In Philadelphia, registered voters will choose who will run the city for another four years.

Incumbent Mayor Michael Nutter is challenged by Karen Brown, a republican, and independent candidate Wali “Diop” Rahman.

“I voted for Nutter because I think he’s doing a pretty good job, and, well, I don’t think his opponent had a much of a chance,” Shea Kraft, a senior political science major, said.

Kraft’s opinion on Nutter was by no means a unique one.

“I’m a democrat, but I wish there was more of a two party system,” said Kathy Javian, a graduate political science student said. “I wish there was more competition.”

Polls immediately outside Temple’s campus, 1915 N. 11th Street and Dr. Tanner G. Duckrey Public School at 16th and Diamond Streets, has not seen much traffic for much of the day.

In both venues, idle poll workers chatted mostly amongst themselves while waiting for that voters to come in.

For some, choosing not to vote in the elections is simple.

“I don’t live where I’m registered,” said graduate student Marco Resnick. “But if I was registered here, I would like to think I would be responsible enough to vote.”

Still, there were a number of Temple students and faculty who made it polling sites–and brought their opinions.

“I know that roads are a big problem in Philadelphia. With that money, I feel like that will be a really good investment,” said Ryan Johnson, sophomore political science major, in response to the ballot question about Philadelphia’s proposal to borrow $111,000,000 dollars to help develop the city infrastructure.

As for the “rainy day fund” proposal, which is basically a financial safety net for the city government, Johnson exclaimed that “as good and great as that is, with the deficit that the city has, I think that theoretically it’s a good idea, but in practice it won’t be as good as an idea.”

Most polls are open well into the evening, as candidate hopefuls await the final count.

Khoury Johnson can be reached at khoury.johnson@temple.edu.