Feel at home at the House of Kabob

The Aromatic House of Kabob, a small corner restaurant in Old City, has the ambience of a Middle Eastern cafe. While serving some of the best Persian food in the city, they also offer one

The Aromatic House of Kabob, a small corner restaurant in Old City, has the ambience of a Middle Eastern cafe. While serving some of the best Persian food in the city, they also offer one of the greatest gifts known to mankind: the BYOB.

“I’d say about 60 percent of our customers take advantage of it,” said waitress Helen Mojgani. On the weekends, Aromatic serves from 150 to 200 patrons each day. My dinner party was greeted warmly at the door and told to sit anywhere we wanted. We chose the couches against the front window, which along with the Persian music and dimmed lighting created a relaxed vibe. The earth-toned walls and Persian rug added to the mood. A basket of pita bread was then brought out compliments of the house. As for an appetizer, we ordered Kash-Bademjan for $5.95, a mixture of sauteed eggplant, grilled onions, garlic and boiled yogurt.

The falafel was rather bland. The entrees we ordered were a good sampling of the menu. The aromatic melt, a vegetarian sandwich served on pita bread with melted feta cheese, mushroom, tomato, spinach
and onions, was a hearty amount of food for $5.95.When you come to Aromatic, get a kabob – hence the name.

Each of the traditional dishes is served with a choice of bread, rice, salad or baked potato. Combo II included one Kubideh (ground sirloin) and one Joojeh (lamb chunks), along with rice for. This was served on pita bread with lettuce, tomato and onion for $14.95.

The aromatic kabob combined the best of all dishes for $16.25. It included chunks of lamb, chicken, tenderloin, char-grilled tomato, green pepper and lettuce. I ordered the baked potato served with mushroom, spinach and feta cheese. The aromatic kabob was the most fulfilling meal I’ve had in years.

The secret to what makes Aromatic so good is their special house dressing. And luckily for us, the beer we brought, Tupper’s Hop Pocket Ale with a rich, hop-heavy flavor, complemented our food choices well. In the end, a BYOB should be about good food and good drinks all at a reasonable price – and Aromatic House of Kabob does just that.

Aromatic House of Kabob
Persian
113 Chestnut St.
(215) 923-4510